Chapter 8, Unfocused

"𝐇𝐨𝐧𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐥𝐲, 𝐰𝐡𝐨 𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐰𝐞 𝐭𝐨 𝐟𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐚𝐥𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐦𝐲?"

For the fifth time that morning, you cut the scene short. "You have to say it like you mean it, please." You were stressed, because Paulie was coming over to check in on things. After barely a week of filming, there was only so much you were able to get done.

A constant state of tautness filled the room, and everyone could tell. Nothing seemed to be going as planned, and none of the actors you had hired for their massive talent were able to live up to expectations today. Not only were you getting reviewed, it was also the day on which you were shooting possibly the biggest scene of the entire short film.

Eleanor and Martha's huge argument was supposed to get filmed that day, but nobody on set seemed to be feeling it as much as you were. Though this scene was going to be essence of the entire project, it felt as if no one else truly got how important all of this was to you.

Bella in particular just wasn't themself today. The brunette kept forgetting their lines, and nothing they were doing seemed genuine at all. In between takes, they appeared to have forgotten how to interact with others, mainly staying by themself and not saying a word unless someone directly spoke to them.

"Guys, can everyone just stop for a minute." You half-yelled, looking around the room filled with people. Most people stopped whatever they were doing and directed their attention to you, some shocked about the way you had raised your voice.

It was something you hadn't done before, and truthfully, you were kind of embarrassed by it. Your cheeks were slightly flushed as you tried to form a speech in your head. "Look, I have no clue what is going on with all of you, but we have no time to waste. We have an opportunity here to make a great film, but only if everyone, and I mean everyone, tries their best. I won't take less than anyone's best right now. Though you have all been amazing me with your talent these past few days, and I am super grateful that you're all here, I think we can achieve so much more if we just find a way to up the concentration. and effort" You caught your breath when you were done, looking around the room full of people, trying to find out exactly what they were all thinking.

You felt a sense of power as your gaze trailed over the individuals in front of you, something you hadn't felt to this extent yet ever before. "That being said, let's continue shooting!" You raised your voice once more, gaining some soft cheers and smiles while everyone got back to what they were doing before, hopefully with more motivation this time.

The speech seemed to have made quite an impact on them, since they all looked a lot more cheerful to get to work again. Some were even smiling, finally realising that what they were doing could make a change. 

There was one singular person who looked even more unfocused than before, and that was Bella. A pit of guilt began building up in your stomach as you let your gaze linger on them, the dark circles under their eyes indicating a lack of sleep, and makeup.