ten

The sun had just started to peek over the horizon when Sirius awoke, a few flakes of snow resting on his clothes. He grimaced, he knew that meant he'd be sick soon enough. Suddenly, he realised he was still curled against Elodie and tried to untangle himself and let her sleep. They had talked until both their voices were hoarse the night before and while he didn't know how long they slept but he was sure it wasn't a healthy amount. He glanced over at her affectionately, noticing a snowflake on the tip of her nose. He frowned when he realised he should have taken her inside last night, Elodie would also fall sick soon and it was his fault.

He was just figuring out how to get Elodie back to her dormitory and let her sleep when her eyes fluttered open, smiling when she saw Sirius.

"Good morning," She smiled. Sirius scoffed jokingly.

"I hate morning people, did you know that?" Elodie hit his leg, the closest part of his body to her, rolling her eyes.

"Don't be dramatic. Now help me up, my friends will be awake soon." She held out her hand and Sirius helped her up. Elodie turned to leave when Sirius grabbed her hand, pulling her back to him. He pushed her gently to the edge of the tower and followed her behind, resting his head on her shoulder and wrapping his arms around her middle.

"Watch the sunrise with me," He murmured in her ear, sending shivers down her back. She had no choice but to oblige, and who was she to skip a beautiful sunrise?

They stood that way until Elodie knew she had to leave, however much she wanted to stay. She pulled Sirius along, letting him follow her down the stairs.

"Are those my joggers?" He asked suddenly and Elodie grinned.

"Staring at my arse, are we?"

"Hey, I was just admiring," He teased, making Elodie twist back to poke her tongue out at him.

"They are yours, though. I'll give them back to you on the train later?"

"What's mine? The joggers or the arse?" He laughed as Elodie pulled a face, "Don't worry about returning them, I have more than enough. You keep them." They had reached the bottom of the staircase and were standing under an archway.

"What, no!" Elodie protested, trying to reason with Sirius. After he'd reassured her for the hundredth time she should keep them, Elodie glanced down at her hands, her eyes catching on a particular ring.

"Here, at least take this. Make it a trade." She slid the silver band on his pinky finger, the only one it would fit on, and Sirius grinned.

"Proposing already?"

"Wrong finger, dummy," Elodie retorted quickly, not missing the genuine smile on his face as Sirius admired the ring. "Well, I have to go." Sirius mock saluted before freezing.

"Baby, you won't tell the others what I said last night, yeah? I told them I'd be fine for the holidays and..." He didn't need to finish his sentence for Elodie to catch on.

"Of course," She smiled, "It's our secret." With that she turned and headed to her dormitory, creeping in minutes before her roommates began to wake up.

It was a mad rush in the Hufflepuff girls' dormitory, four of the five girls returning home for the break.

"You sure you'll be fine here?" Elodie asked Jess as she folded her coat and packed it away. She tossed some summer clothes back into her wardrobe, knowing she wouldn't need them at home.

"Of course, I'd rather be here anyway, maybe I'll finally get Dumbledore to teach me how to glide like he does," Jess joked, laying back against the headboard.

"He really does glide, doesn't he?" Claudia sat on her trunk as she tried to close the latches. Elodie lazily flicked her wand in her direction, snapping the latches closed.

"Any plans? Tif?" Himari asked, counting how many books she could pack into her trunk.

"Oh yeah. Me and my muggle friend have got tickets to this new band she heard about. They're called The Clash. We intend on discovering all the latest bands, you can get really cheap tickets if you know the right people," She whispered the last part as if her strict mother were listening even within the walls of Hogwarts. The girls wished her luck on her path to liberation and music discovery. When they were sure they had packed everything, the girls headed down to the great hall for a quick breakfast before the train. Elodie was lost in thought, staring up at the candles floating near the ceiling when Claudia snapped in her direction.

"Hello? We're going to be late if you don't hurry up." Elodie looked around to see most of the students filing out and apologised, scoffing her slice of honey toast and taking a quick sip of her tea. She tripped out of the bench, being caught by both Claudia and Dorcas, who had appeared seemingly out of nowhere.

"Lucky catch, hey, Baby?" Dorcas grinned and slid her hand from Elodie's forearm down to interlock their fingers.

"Y-yeah," Elodie stuttered despite herself and Claudia laughed loudly, pulling them from their moment. The girls made their way to the carriages, the rest of the Gryffindors catching up to them halfway and Elodie introduced them to Claudia.

"Guys, you know my friend, Claudia." Claudia waved and the Gryffindors all greeted her excitedly, the whole gang buzzing for the holidays. At the carriages, Elodie and Claudia were separated from the Gryffindors and somehow shoved in with a group of Slytherins Elodie didn't really know, although Claudia didn't look too disappointed. Elodie sat silently, smiling politely at the teenagers.

"You're sharing our compartment, Claudia?" Severus invited her, his flat voice invading Elodie's peace. Claudia looked for her friend's permission quickly and upon her nod, accepted.

"That sounds great, Sev." Elodie refrained from grimacing at the nickname. Her Gryffindors had told her many unpleasant stories about Severus, although she knew they were biased and she shouldn't believe them all.

"Merry Christmas, Claud, look out for my gift," Elodie grinned as she hugged Claudia tightly, who returned the gesture.

"Happy New Year too!" The girls shared a last smile before splitting up, Elodie going looking for her new friends.