Prologue

Rich POV, 1 and a half years ago

The Squip was supposed to be helping. Rich thought it was. For a few months. Sure, it made him popular, but that always came at the cost of searing migraines when he messed up, or just when the Squip felt it was "necessary", and always getting yelled at. He could tolerate it, sure, but migraines and getting constantly told what was wrong with him are the last things he needed, considering they don't make navigating the empty beer bottles that lay scattered around almost everywhere in his house any easier... God, Rich was just glad to be able to make it to and from school without getting bullied for once. That was the one upside of getting a Squip. When it came time, he walked into the school, just trying to make it through the day. Besides the Squip's usual nagging and telling him what he needed to fix, there wasn't anything of note that the Squip said. ... Until Rich came across a short, brown-haired boy wearing a blue cardigan and a striped shirt. He never thought anything of him, but– That's Jeremy Heere. The Squip informed. Loser. Unpopular. Nerd. Like you once were. He would certainly benefit from a Squip. It mentioned. I– I couldn't– that would destroy the kid– he– Rich panicked. A searing migraine blew through his brain right after thinking this. Rich, you know I just want to help, don't you? Asked the Squip, sternly. Conveniently for Rich, he had a lot of experience with tamping down his emotions, so when he nodded, and blanked out, the Squip thought he'd learned his lesson. "Dude, are you... good?" That wasn't the Squip. That was Jeremy. ... He actually gave half a shit about him. The only other person who did was the Squip. ... Forcing down the guilt, knowing it was the only way to keep this kid from getting a Squip, and before it could understand what Rich was really doing, he stared Jeremy dead in the eye. "I'll say this once, tallass. Don't you come anywhere fucking near me." Rich cracked his knuckles as he stated it, in a low growl. "You're a pathetic loser who anyone would be ashamed to have as a friend if they weren't as unpopular as you. Stay, far, far away from me, because if you do, I will not hesitate to make you regret it. Got that, loser?" Despite his efforts to seem angry, there was an audible hint of sadness to his voice. Jeremy left, choking back tears. Rich went through the day, and despite the Squip telling him how proud he was, how fear is a powerful tool that could help them get what they want, Rich left school feeling as if he was just like his dad.