Juniper

Two years ago Juniper moved to the big city to pursue her dreams. But the busy and expensive city did not receive her with open arms. After being beaten down by the harsh reality she decided to move back to her hometown.

"My baby's back!" Juniper's mom advocated for her to stay in their hometown and pursue a career there, telling her that artists rarely make it and you must come from a wealthy family and have major influence. Even Though she advised her out of love, Juniper believed it was a way of telling her she didn't have what it takes to be successful.

"There's rumors that a famous author moved into that big castle-like mansion up by Angels road on the hill. You might know him, Juniper." spewed Juniper's little sister. "There are so many book writers in the world, Mila, what big of a coincidence would it be that one of my favorite authors moved into my very small hometown."

"A great one, but not impossible." 15 year old Mila was enthusiastic to see her big sister again. Juniper spent her 4 college years at home with her parents and sisters, she craved something new. She always had a passion for singing, when she sang everyone had to stop and listen, her voice was a gift from God to mankind.

On that sunday she returned home. It was a given to go to church as a family.

There she saw and greeted many familiar faces. when the choir sang she couldn't help but reminisce she once too was in the church choir and the church folk would love it when she sang. Especially when she had a solo. Some of the members in the choir despised the fact that she took all the credit for everything, not because she actually took the credit but because people gave her never ending praises for her beautiful voice.

"You should join the choir again, Pie." suggested Kat, Juniper smiled, put her arm around her and pulled her into a tight hug. 19 year old Kat was her sister's biggest fan.

"The congregation needs some of your spice." Kat continued in the car on their way home. "You know it's time for others to shine." Juniper dismissed the idea, or tried.

"She's right, Pie. You should join the choir. Pastor Davis would love you there." Continued her father without taking his eyes off the road. "Yeah, Juniper join! Services are getting more and more boring each sunday-."

"Mila!" Their mother cut her off. "What a sharp tongue you have, girl. watch it." Kat laughed and so did the rest of the car.

They returned home laughing and chattering. Juniper made her way up to her old room, which remained the exact same as when she left it 2 years ago. A small collection of creepy old dolls, of which her mother complained about being demonic each time she entered the room and a ugly poop brown colored rug that matched the same color bedding. A small chuckle bounced off her lips when a wave of nostalgia hit her. She crashed her body onto the twin size bed. Her eyes closed and her mind drifted.

She was startled awake by her mother shaking her roughly. "Pie wake up, you've been sleeping for 2 hours already. There's someone here that wants to see you."

"Aw you didn't have to wake her up." Juniper heard a familiar voice from the hall, jolting her body up. She looked toward the doorway and saw a familiar face even though she didn't remember the name she knew she knew the lady that stood waiting. she gave her a gentle although fake smile then turned to her mother.

"Baby do you not remember Selena from church? Well, I told her that you are in need of employment and she has a client that is looking to hire someone to help them around, that has office experience and since you worked as a secretary in the city I thought you might be interested." Juniper's expression dropped. Her mother was already looking for a job for her, Juniper never expressed concerns of job hunting. It bothered her how fast her mother was trying to get rid of her. But she was right, Juniper was in need of employment.