Ch 22 Stranger in marriage

It had been a month since Aditya and Anya's wedding, but the marriage seemed more like a battlefield than a union. The air between them crackled with tension, and the warmth that should have grown between newlyweds was conspicuously absent. The family dynamics didn't help; Anya was often at the receiving end of taunts from his family, with only a few moments of respite.

Anya had resumed work, hoping it would be her sanctuary. However, Aditya had other plans. He took every opportunity to dominate her at the office, piling extra work on her plate, knowing she was already struggling at home. Her days were a relentless grind, filled with professional demands and personal strife.

Flashback : The Unbearable Cold Shoulder

One evening, Anya returned home late after finishing an urgent project Aditya had assigned. As she stepped into the house, she was met with Narayani's sharp voice.

Narayani: "Look who finally decided to come home. Our new bride seems to think she's still a free bird."

Samyukta: "Auntie, maybe she's trying to avoid her responsibilities here. After all, who needs to cook and clean when you have a cushy office job?"

Anya bit her lip, holding back tears. She wanted to explain, to defend herself, but knew it would only make things worse. She quietly retreated to her room, only to find Aditya glaring at her.

Aditya: "Can't even manage your time properly, can you? This is why I don't think you're cut out for serious responsibilities."

She had no choice but to swallow her pride and apologize. The sting of his words lingered long after he left the room.

Flashback : The Office Nightmare

At the office, Anya was deep into her work when Aditya barged into her cabin.

Aditya: "I need these reports by tomorrow morning. No excuses."

Anya: "But, Aditya, I already have a lot on my plate. Can't it wait?"

Aditya: "If you can't handle it, maybe you're not as competent as you think you are."

His words cut deep, and despite her best efforts, Anya spent the night working on the reports, crying silently at her desk. The loneliness was overwhelming, and the professional humiliation only added to her growing sense of despair.

Flashback : The Kitchen Catastrophe

During her pehli rasoi, Anya had made a variety of dishes, hoping to win some appreciation. The table was laden with curry, pulao, chapati, paneer tikka, and halwa. As the family sat down to eat, she held her breath, praying for a kind word.

Balakrishna: "This is wonderful, Anya. You've done a great job."

Shanta: "Yes, very nice indeed."

But Aditya, never missing a chance to belittle her, tasted a spoonful and grimaced.

Aditya: "What is this? Did you forget how to cook or something? This is barely edible."

Anya felt the sting of humiliation as the rest of the family silently continued their meal, avoiding her eyes. Only Arvind, who had started calling her chelli (younger sister), offered her a kind smile later, joking to lighten her mood.

Arvind: "Don't worry, chelli. My first attempt at cooking was worse. I nearly burned the kitchen down!"

His light-hearted approach made her feel slightly better, but the hurt caused by Aditya's harsh words remained.

Flashback : The Constant Criticism

At night, when Anya would finally lie down, hoping for a few moments of peace, Aditya would often find something to criticize.