i will wait for you

"And so, the day came when Maria and (Name) would leave to study abroad. The four amigos would be no more."

At about 3:30 in the morning, you and the Posadas set out from San Angel in order to catch a train that would take you on a boat to Spain. It felt strange for you to be out this early, when the sun hasn't even risen yet. Manolo and Joaquin eagerly tagged along for your final moments together as a group, helping you and Maria carry your bags across the barren, but cool dessert.

As the nuns sing their final goodbyes, you step away from Maria and her father, giving them some privacy for their final moments together. Awkwardly, you gaze to the side, having no available family to preach your goodbyes to.

Manolo expectantly peers at you, dressed in a nicer dress shirt than his usual tee. Joaquin stands beside him, all four of you wearing solemn expressions. Maria turns around,  as her father scurries away to hide his tears.

"I'm gonna miss you guys." Maria starts, and you bite back the urge to cry.

You nod. "Me too."

Maria embraces Manolo in a tight hug, while you hug Joaquin and give him one last noogie. The boy squeals a little, playfully pushing you off.

"We'll be here waiting..."

"... For as long as it takes."

You turn to Joaquin, Manolo still holding onto your hands.

"Don't die out there, keep yourself safe." You say to him, and he firmly nods.

"Don't ever stop fighting for what's right." Maria says, and Joaquin smiles.

Seemingly out of nowhere, Manolo shyly pulls out two boxes from his side; one bigger and one smaller. "I got both of you a present. Maria, you should probably open yours now."

"Wait a second, we were supposed to bring gifts?" Joaquin gapes. Maria gives him a teasing glance.

Letting go of Manolo's hands, you step back, watching curiously as Maria opens the giant box in front of her. You and Maria gasp in unison, recognizing the pig from earlier.

"I named him Chuy. He'll look after you."

Maria coos in delight, picking up the pig like a baby and cradling it in her arms. "Oh, I remember you!"

"Thank you." Maria whispers, hugging Chuy tighter.

Manolo then turns to you, handing you a quaint brown box. A smile blooms across your face, and Manolo eagerly watches as you gently pull up the lid. Your heart leaps in your throat, bumping against your chest with excitement.

Against a soft layer of satin, was a beautiful, heart-shaped silver locket. Slowly, you reach out to click the locket open, revealing a tiny photo of you, Maria, Joaquin, and Manolo all together.

"It's all of us..."

Gasping, you peer up at Manolo with shock, tears pricking at your eyes. "How did you find the money for this?!" You ask, and he shakes his head.

"I'll never tell." Manolo says with a mischievous smirk, reaching his hand out. You hand the locket to him, turning around and lifting your hair. The boy clumsily manages to click the necklace into place. Right there and then, you decided that you'd never take this necklace off. You grace your fingers against the fine detailing of the locket, accustoming yourself to the texture.

"It's beautiful, Manolo. Thank you." You mutter, reaching to embrace him in the tightest hug possible.

"I have something for you too." You whisper. "Sorry Joaquin." You wink, reaching down for a box by your feet. You hand it to him with care, Manolo appearing speechless.