Partners

"Time, some things never change here we go again

Feel like I'm losing my mind

Shake it off, let it go, I don't care any more

Just go numb

You never know until you let go

Let's go numb."

"God, Camila, turn that down! It's going to blow my eardrums out!" Dinah exclaims next to me in my white jeep on our way to school.

"Dinah, I can't turn it down. This song is so good and it speaks to me on such levels. I can't even tell you how much this song means to me." I lecture her.

"Whatever, but if I lose my hearing; I'm blaming you." She tells me while turning to look out the window.

First day of my junior year of high school. Most kids are excited for the first day back because they get to see all of their friends, but Dinah is really my only friends so I'm not looking forward to this at all. I mean don't get me wrong I love learning and all that but the people at my school are not the nicest towards me. Popularity is the way to run the school, and when you don't have many friends you are at the bottom of the school.

Although my only friend is Dinah, Dinah has more friends than me. She is actually one of the popular girls who surprisingly chooses to be friends with me. I guess she is just one of those girls who doesn't care who you are to be friends with you, you just have to have a good personality; which is why she has so many friends.

When Dinah and I walk into school I see the most popular girl in school; Lauren Jauregui. The it girl. We used to be best friends in fifth grade and we were both losers but when she got the chance at popularity, she threw me under the bus to join the cool club. More like the jerk club. Our situation is so difficult because I know she's a good girl Who just acts out to a popular.

Her head turns my way and I smile. She has a faint smile on her face but that quickly changes when her friends get her attention. She's so unbelievable. Why can't she even just smile at me like she used to; Why can't we be friends like we used to. I mean those girls just think of her as a threat because she's beautiful, so when they get bored of her they are going to throw her under a bus. She would be better off being friends with me, I would never do that to her.

I take out my schedule and look at it. I have first period language arts with Mr. Martinez. As I stroll into the classroom, nobody is in there. That was not really a surprise because it was the first day back and people wanted to see their friends. Also, I am usually always the first one in the classroom. The teacher greets me and asks me what my name was, I give him my name then sit down in a chair in the far left of the classroom. Give or take ten minutes, student walk into the classroom leisurely laughing with their friends.

Then the second bell rings and class starts but a minute or so after the bell rings and the teacher starts telling us stuff about him Lauren walks into the classroom. She was wearing a black leather jacket and black skinny jeans, she looked so badass. Her hair was straight and it landed around her shoulders. God she was so beautiful.

The teacher looked unamused, "Buenas noches, Senorita Jauregui. Glad you could join us. Sit beside Ms. Cabello, right there." He directs pointing to me.

As she comes to sit down next to me she doesn't even look in my direction. I think she was purposely trying to avoid my gaze but that didn't stop me from staring at her. Why is she so stubborn? She's not around her annoying friends so why can't she talk to me? Or even look at me for that matter.

"Okay, so I was informed that there are a plethora of new students this school year. So in order for everyone to get to know each other I have paired you up in groups of two for a 'get to know you' project. In two weeks you and your partner will share to the class the new things you have learned about each other. Alright, let me just read off the list and then get with your partners!"

While the teacher was reading off the name, I wasn't really listening. I was more staring at Lauren and thinking about how aggravated I am at her. Then I hear my name being called and my partner was Lauren. The color fell from my face and I didn't know whether to cry or faint, or maybe both. We look at each other with pure horror written on our faces. This cannot be happening.

"Also, these partners are final. No changes whatsoever. You never know what could happen. You could end up best friends by the end of this project." Mr. Martinez adds.

Well he didn't know she ditched me and my friendship for popularity.