Chapter Fourteen: Linked Destiny

The sun rose, blinding those daring enough to glare at its glory. Well, that was just Carl. He couldn't fall asleep. The events of last night continuously played in his mind like a movie. And he kept pressing the repeat button whenever it ended.

He couldn't forget about what he saw. The blood of his "favorite uncle" was on his hands. But he also felt sick to his stomach. Shane, a man he used to think highly of, hurt his best friend, his other half. And that was unacceptable.

He'd heard Mae tossing and turning in her sleep, which worried him. Carl wanted to wake her up, but he stopped himself. He knew it'd make things worse.

But then there was also Matteo. The boy who saved Mae from doom and destruction that would leave her with scars and battle wounds.

Matteo looked innocent. And he was. But he also saw and saved Mae. The two boys sat opposite each other; neither dared to fall asleep, not that they could, anyway.

And when Mae finally woke up, the two decided to take things slow. Carl brought her breakfast and helped her with anything she needed. Matteo comforted her, but the fragile girl barely said anything, filling the two with worry.

TWO WEEKS LATER...

Mae had started talking to Carl and Matteo. She opened up. But they could tell she was hurting. Matteo came and went. That lasted for two weeks. But then it was put to an end.

As Matteo, Carl, and Mae were talking, they heard the door creak open. There stood Judith Grimes, Carl's sister. Her face was red and puffy. Tears streamed down her cheeks. "I'm sorry, Carl," Judith sniffled.

Carl got up, confused. "Sorry for what?" Then Lori Grimes appeared. "Mom was calling you from downstairs. She said dinner was ready. You didn't come downstairs. I accidentally slipped up. I'm so sorry, Carl." Judith explained through her tears and sniffles.

"That's right." Lori went into his bedroom. "That explains why you've been eating so much. And the loud noises."

Lori looked at Mae and Matteo. "You invited her to that dinner with Shane and his girlfriend. She's the one that's been staying here for the past month, right? And him? I don't know him."

"Mom, listen, you know Mae is-"

"I know everything. Mae can stay. I've discussed it with your dad. But he-" She pointed towards Matteo. "-Cannot. You understand that, right?"

Matteo nodded. "Yes, ma'am, of course. I'm sorry for the trouble." Matteo opened the window and leaped out, leaving Lori in disbelief. "The window, huh?"

Carl chuckled.

"I'm sorry, Mrs. Grimes," said Mae. "It's okay, dear. Anyway, you two, come down for dinner, okay?"

They ended the night with dinner. Mae had met Rick once again. And surprisingly, Rick was calm about the entire situation.

⊱ ────── {.⋅ ✯ ⋅.} ────── ⊰

Mae woke up to find Carl wearing a black and gray flannel and baggy jeans. He looked more groomed than usual. "Going somewhere, cowboy?"

"To my secret spot. I'll take you there. Get dressed." Mae grinned.

After around thirty minutes, Mae had gotten ready. She wore baggy jeans and a high-neck top. Carl took her hand and led her downstairs. "And where are you two going?" They turned around and saw Judith.

"Out. Bye, Jude!" Carl and Mae practically ran out of the house.

Carl took charge and held Mae's hand as he led her to a forest near the Grimes' family home.

⊱ ────── {.⋅ ✯ ⋅.} ────── ⊰

Tall and luscious trees towered over the two as Carl led Mae deeper into the forest. The sound of water rushing filled their ears. He knew they were getting closer. Especially when he saw the red ribbon tied to a tree.

Soon, they had arrived. There was a blanket laid out with a basket of food and plates near a small pond. "Wow, really, Carl? Is this a date?" Mae teased.

Carl's cheeks were scarlet as he looked into her eyes. "What? Can't two people of the opposite gender eat together in a randomly romantic area without it being a date?" Mae laughed.

"Nice wording, cowboy."

"Thank you, runaway girl."

The two sat down, opposite each other. "Take what you like, Mae," she filled her plates with a few pastries and a sandwich. "These totally don't look old," said Mae.

Carl let out a fake-offended gasp. "You dare, peasant?" He mocked her thick British accent. "And you dare to dare me, cowboy?" Carl grinned. "I do, Speedy."

The two continued to laugh and joke until the sun started to set. As the two were packing up, Carl couldn't get his eyes off of her. He stared at her in awe. She was perfect.

He would move a mountain for her if it meant he could see her sweet smile. "Mae?"

She looked up at him and replied, "Yeah?" Carl's heart started to race, and his hands started to shake. "Can," he paused, wondering if it was right. Would it be legendary or unnecessary? He sighed before continuing, "Can I kiss you?"

Mae's eyes lit up. "Yeah."

Carl leaned in, their lips brushed before they sealed the gap. For a second, everything stopped. It was only them; they were the ones destined to be together. It felt right. They were molded for each other by the gods and goddesses of love.

Carl's hands slid down to her waist, while Mae wrapped her arms around his neck, deepening the kiss.

A few seconds later, they pulled away.

"Sorry," Carl muttered. "Why?" Mae asked.

"I shouldn't have asked that. You're still recovering and-"

"No. It's great that you asked. Other guys would've kissed without asking, but you, Carl, are special." Carl smiled. The two interlocked their fingers.

"Mae, I love you. I'd go to the ends of the earth for you. I used to brush off my feelings for stupidity. I knew you would never like me. But I fucking love you. You're my sun." Mae blushed.

"Carl, I love you too," replied Mae. Mae cupped his cheek. "Can I?" Carl nodded.

-author's note

yep. two months with no update... fuck im screwed. anyway. i can smell the ending of words burn hard. and it'll be coming soon. but not yet.