Chapter Fifteen: Resurrection

Once Carl and Mae had arrived back at the Grimes' family home, they noticed that the house was a bit of a mess.

There were three suitcases downstairs. "Mom, what's going on?" Carl asked as he set the picnic basket down on the kitchen counter. "Your dad, sister, and I are going away for a bit.

"Without us?" Carl asked, motioning to Mae and himself. Lori chuckled. "We... need time away, okay? And I suppose you and Mae can hang out. You'll have each other, of course." Carl nodded. There was nothing he could do about it now. And he was honestly fine with Mae, considering that thirty minutes ago, his lips were on hers.

"Judith, come on!" Lori shouted.

"Coming, mom!" Judith yelled back. A minute later, she came downstairs. She looked at Carl and Mae and yelled the words, "Bye! Don't have sex!" Carl's eyes widened.

Judith grinned and ran out with her suitcase, leaving the three of them standing awkwardly in the living room. Lori sighed and gave her son a kiss on his forehead. "You have grown," she smiled bitterly, remembering the memories from Carl's childhood.

"I love you too, mom," Carl said, giving her a hug. The two pulled away and Lori wrapped her arms around Mae. "Take care of this idiot, okay?" Mae nodded, a tear slipping down her eye.

Lori grabbed her and Rick's suitcases' and made her way to the door. She was about to leave when she said, "Oh, and Carl, don't forget, okay? I enrolled you in school. You'll go back in a week. It's your last year. Mae, contact your parents. You need an education. I love you both!"

And with that, Lori Grimes left, leaving the two teens staring at each other. But Mae remembered Lori's words. "Mae, contact your parents. You need an education." They continued ringing in her head until dinner.

She and Carl ate the leftovers from last night's dinner.

And later in the evening, Mae used Rick's computer to find her parents—or at least someone who knew where her parents were.

She went online and typed in her name. She wasn't famous. But her parents certainly were. And maybe, for once, there would be something written about her.

There, she found an article titled "Mae Carter's Trip to Camp Golas." She raised a brow; she had never been to Camp Golas, nor had she heard of it. There was one part of the article that really struck a nerve:

Camp Golas—the place for those who are extroverts. (It's heaven for them!) And Mae Carter is one of them. Her parents recently sent her there, of her own will, of course. The young woman seems to be enjoying her time at the camp! She has made new friends herself.

(—ᴄʀᴇᴅɪᴛꜱ ᴛᴏ ᴏᴜʀ ᴇᴅɪᴛᴏʀ @ᴜꜱᴇʟᴇꜱꜱʙɪᴛᴄʜ4205 ꜰᴏʀ ᴍᴀᴋɪɴɢ ᴀɴᴅ ɢᴀᴛʜᴇʀɪɴɢ ᴛʜᴇ ᴘʜᴏᴛᴏꜱ ꜰᴏʀ ᴛʜɪꜱ ᴄᴏʟʟᴀɢᴇ)

We now raise our glasses to the daughter of one of the most influential families in England!

Mae continued reading more articles. She couldn't believe the lengths her parents would go to just to prevent the media from knowing that she had run away. It was infuriating. She was shocked.

It seemed that they had even hired a few lookalikes to pose for the deceiving pictures.

It was disgusting how they played the media like masterminds. Mae sighed and turned Rick's computer off. She could deal with more of this in the morning.

⊱ ────── {.⋅ ✯ ⋅.} ────── 

When Mae woke up, she went downstairs and noticed that Carl was watching the news on the TV. "Mae," he called out. "Yeah?"

"They say there's some sort of virus in Paris, France. They're shutting down the airports and cutting school hours. It's weird," Carl said.

Mae sat down next to him and listened to the news reporter.

"—We are live here in the capital city of France, Paris. Doctors are saying that this virus kills then revives! It is something we have never seen. It is new and it is coming for us! Doctors are advising the public to stay away from anyone with this disease."

Mae's eyes widened as she listened to the news reporter talk. She hoped and prayed that the virus would not come to the states. That would hurt.

───── ❝ authors note ❞ ─────

WOAH!!!! NGL I LOVE CLAUDIA JESSIE!! i got the pics from pinterest. all i did was search "claudia jessie friends" tbh i slay

i loved writing this omg

it was so fun

anyway the virus in france sounds sus af 

"it kills then revives!" so goofy. tf is this? this aint the walking dead.

anyway the next chapter might be the last. or not? who knows. maybe there will be a sequel. anyway, yall aint ready for the next chapter. be afraid.