친절한 악마~ Too kind for a demon?

Nezuko clasped her hands in prayer for all the people that had died by that monster's hands.

The moment the sun had come up, Sumiko had disappeared inside the temple while the demon they had tried so hard to kill burned and disintegrated under the sunlight. Why didn't her sister understand? Did she empathize with the demons too? Was this something she would've done or because she was a demon now too? To be honest, she didn't know how she really felt right now but it troubled her.

"Your sister is too kind for a demon," The man, who had introduced himself as Urokodaki, stated beside her. "And you are clouded by your anger," he declared calmly.

Nezuko bit her lip.

"How will that anger serve you? What will you do if your sister eats a human or protects another demon?" Urokodaki demanded through her continued silence as he turned to face her.

"Don't talk about onee-chan like that!" She snapped at him as she clenched her hands by her sides.

"That anger tonight helped you in fighting with that demon. But you didn't answer my question. You can't. You know why?" The man loomed over her before slapping her on the face, the pain rattling her. "You let your emotions get the better of you, preventing you from making sound decisions right away. When your sister ends up doing those things, you raise your blade against her and kill her. Then you commit seppuku to atone for it. So you must do your best to make sure that will never happen, do you understand?"

"I know that," Her eyes, against her will, welled up with tears of frustration. "But what am I supposed to do? I'm trying so hard to be strong but I'm not. I'm not, ok? That had always been onee-chan. And I can't just forget what one of those demons had done. I'm just so angry, I can't help it. What am I supposed to do?" She furiously swiped at the tears that had fallen, hating that she was easy to tear up.

"Simple. You get stronger." Urokodaki declared as if it was that simple, unheeding of her crying. "Right now, I'm going to test you to see if you've got what it takes to be a member of the Demon Slaying Corps. Go get your sister and follow me." He ordered her while she stared at him with wide eyes.

"H-Hai!" She stumbled to her feet in surprise

___

Nezuko.

A soft voice called out to her and when she turned to look, she saw her older sister giving her a smile and the sadness in her eyes made her uncomfortable. For a moment, she couldn't point out what was different but it wasn't until she stared longer at those burgundy orbs that she realized it.

This was Sumiko when she was still human.

Nezuko. She called out again. Why are you angry? Her expression was that of helplessness and it bothered Nezuko beyond belief for being the reason for it.

"Of course, I'm angry!" She couldn't help it as her voice raised, the extent of her anger getting the better of her. "They took everything from us! They turned you into a demon! How can I not be angry?" She felt tears welling up in her eyes, unable to look at Sumiko anymore for fear of the disappointment she might see.

Then why do you fight? Her older sister's voice was as gentle as she remembered and the pain of how much she missed it resonated within her.

You have to understand, she thought adamantly to herself. I'm doing all of this for you. "I'm going to avenge you and everyone! I will kill that demon!" She breathed in deeply, those words engraved within her subconscious after how many times she'd vowed it.

Nezuko. Gentle hands grabbed her face and turned it to face the regretful visage of her sister. Let go of your anger. Please. She stated it as if it was that simple.