Chapter 20: Assignment

early update goal: 50 Votes Or 25 comments Across The Book (no spam comments such as listing numbers)

Jake's POV

I stare out at the crowd of training warriors. The sun, having come out not too long ago, was providing a slight warmth to fight the morning chill. I take a deep breath as I try to calm down my frazzled mind. My mind was abuzz with thoughts on how to fix this issue with Josh, the incidents with the rogues as of recent, and also the sloppy training I'm watching in front of me. "Remember to keep your cores engaged people! One swift kick and you'd all be down. . And widen your stances!" I add on. Most everyone adjusts. I sigh. My eyes trail to Josh, he has weights added to his wrists and legs to aid in building up his muscle mass. Personally, I quite like Josh as he is now but Xavier's words are final. And if he doesn't believe Josh is capable of being in combat then we would just have to prove him otherwise. Like he sees me watching him, his eyes trail to me just as he gets a hit to the face. I roll my eyes at him. Idiot. "Stop!" Everyone pauses and turns to me. "You were all sloppy," I call it as I see it. "I know it's early but I. Don't. Care. Attacks come at any time of day." A few people roll their eyes. "I saw that, Heather and Colby! Go take ten laps!" They groan but comply, beginning to run to the closest border to begin their laps around the pack. "Everyone else takes ten and then we'll start again! I expect better when you're back." A few people groan, some drop to the ground where they're at while others go off to grab water. Josh takes off his weights and makes his way over to me.

"Hey," he says with a smile. "What's wrong?" He's usually a to the point person as well, with the exception of when he spirals.

"Nothing," I lie. I push back the idea of pulling him to me. I could never do that in front of others.

"Don't lie to me," he fixes me with his harshest look which I smirk at in return.

"I'm fine," I continue to lie. "Just need some rest." I've been working harder than ever these last couple of weeks. On top of the rogue problem, we've all been trying to help Xavier with his work so he can help the new Luna adjust. Not my idea.

"Okay well when you're done lying to me, I'm happy to talk about it," he offers. I smile back a real smile.

'Jacob, could you meet me in the conference room?' Xavier's voice floods into my mind. Now it's my turn to groan.

"I'll be back," I tell him, going past him to walk into the pack house. Knocking on the conference room door, Xavier's voice echos a 'come in.' "Alpha Xavier," I greet him, catching sight of his new mate sitting with him. "Luna," I nod in a hello, looking to the three other Alphas in the room, nodding to them in acknowledgment. "What can I do for you?"

"Status report on the rogues."

"Though we've been keeping an eye on the majority of the rogues, many of them are sitting outside borders. They seem to pick spots where our stationary patrol warriors are at, as if taunting them. The few who do attempt to cross have been strategic, too strategic for a rogue in my opinion. They pick spots where we originally had brief time gaps for patrol, spots already or recently patrolled. In response we changed up the patrol schedule and doubled patrol warriors."

"Thank you Jacob," he says with a nod of his own. "Is that the most recent update?" I felt my hand clench as I nod. "You may go."

My hand is on the doorknob when I remember the odd detail. I turn back around. "Some have had no scent, Alpha."

"And what do you make of that, Jacob?"

"I don't know sir but Josh has been doing research. We're hoping Shia might have some insight when she returns from her journey." Shia is Zay's mate, a magi older and more powerful than any of us. She's often out for work but returns decently enough to maintain a healthy relationship with Zay. I have a feeling Zay would kick her ass otherwise.

"Good, let me know the outcome." I eye the new Luna, Celeste, for a moment. She seems to be lost in her thoughts, a sad yet confused look in her eyes.

"No scent?" She asks. I nod.

Xavier squints. "Alpha Weiss, weren't you saying something along the same line?"

"Just like the fetchers from. . ." She trails off. "It must be Malum who is doing this." She squeezes Xavier's arm.

"Jacob, have Josh look into a rogue named Malum. ." He looks to Celeste who shakes her head. "Malum, let me know what he finds."

"Will do."

I go back to training, Josh is nibbling on his lip. He sighs as he sees me. "Are you in trouble again?" I get into trouble sometimes for my attitude, often when I upset someone too much during a training session. It's ridiculous.

"No but you have a new assignment." He groans. "Meet me in my room tonight and I'll fill you in," I say with a smirk.

That night, the moment Josh enters my room, I pin him to the wall. He doesn't fight, instead meeting me as I kiss him. One hand holds him by the hip, loosely keeping him at the wall, as my thumb traces the bare skin of his waist. The other hand starts around his throat, giving a secure hold with no actual pressure, before snaking to his hair. His hands start at my chest, one of them quickly going to play with my own hair while the other stays on top of my heart, feeling it beat wildly beneath his fingers. I let him pull back for air, my lips tracing down his jaw and neck. "Jacob," he calls to me. I ignore him, needing this, needing him, for just one more moment. One more moment before life resumes. His hand over my chest grips my shirt as he tilts his neck up, giving me better access to trail kisses and small nips down to his collarbones. I place one last kiss to where I hope to one day mark him. He shudders, a little breathy noise leaving his mouth.

"So what's this assignment I have?"