Chapter 22: Pegasus

Early Release Goal: 25 votes or 15 comments (no spam)

Celeste's POV

I reach up, trying to reach the box of pancake mix. It's above my reach by maybe an inch or two and I curse the person who put it there. Xavier and I are making breakfast; pancakes, bacon and eggs. Simple enough, right? Right? Wrong. I just had to say I'd grab the mix which I had seen in the cupboard several times before in my searching for various snacks. I thought I had it in my grasp enough to pull it out but I watched as it slowly tipped and fell forward, flipping right onto my head and dumping some of the powder over my head. I closed my eyes as I felt the powder cascade down my face. I groan at the box's side sudden impact, hearing it smack to the ground.

Xavier chuckles and I feel his hands go to my face as he wipes the powder from my eyes. I blush in embarrassment and also at his close proximity.

These last few days I felt overly aware of Xavier's presence. I found myself studying him more often when we shared a space. My eyes trailing his broad shoulders and thick arms. His hands that I knew offered a secure grip. He's an Alpha through and through. And I was more confused about our pairing. And more grateful. I didn't take up his offer to sleep in his room but I did pick back up my habit of taking clothes from his room. To be honest, I think he left the door unlocked for me. It was sweet.

Sparks cover my face making my nose twitch, further so when Xavier presses his lips to the tip of my nose. I blink slowly, making sure no powder got into my eyes, coming to see Xavier's green eyes staring into mine. My lips part as my breath catches in my throat. I gulp. I feel myself move closer to him, him doing the same. Our lips are a breath away, our noses brushing. His hand moves to my waist. And I freeze. Xavier, noticing, pulls a breath away. I take a breath, knowing that he'll give me absolute control. Shy. I'm shy at knowing that I hold that power. That I hold that decision.

"Have dinner with me tonight?" His statement is phrased as a question. Once again giving me the ultimate decision. "Just you and I?"

"Yes," I respond quickly. "That sounds great." I always felt studied at dinner. If not by Shia then by a pack member or two who joined dinner. I know everyone wanted to get a look at me, get a peak into who I am. Shia insisted that I would have an 'interesting story.' I didn't like what that could mean. So far my story wasn't on a normal route already and I just want to live out my days peacefully. Xavier also watches me at dinners but I watch him as well. I can't help it. Ancillary teases me for it.

"Great," he smiles brightly, teeth brighter than my own. He backs up and I miss the proximity. I look down, seeing the box broken at our feet and the rest of the powder on the floor. I pout, so much for pancakes. "Why don't you go get cleaned up and I'll finish the rest of breakfast?" He had already started mixing the eggs in a bowl.

"Are you sure?"

"Of course, go," he says with a push to my back as his hand had never left my waist.

'Admit it, he's good,' I try to reason with Ancillary, who I knew was judging me.

'Maybe. . .'

'Yes,' I try to be firm. 'Please Ancillary, I need you to like him,' I plead. 'He's sweet, he's kind, he's smart and understanding of everything we've thrown at him.'

'Celeste. . .' I roll my eyes, getting prepared to take a shower. With the water warm, I hop in. I was going to shower after breakfast anyway, I suppose. 'Celestial,' she calls. I rinse my hair, brushing my fingers through the long locks.

'I want you to be open to him, I like him,' I reason.

'And if I can't do that?'

'Then. . .' I think. 'Then I have to move forward without you,' I decide. 'The Moon Goddess said that he's the perfect mate for me. More importantly, I've decided he's the perfect mate for me.' I finish my shower, Ancillary having been stewing in silence.