𝚝𝚑𝚛𝚎𝚎

VALAENA STARED QUIZZICALLY at the odd-shaped object with jagged and uneven scales that upon further inspection, were not entirely bronze as the light revealed the subtle hints of green beneath the surface.

"That's supposed to turn into a dragon?" she questioned as she lowered the egg from her eyeline, glancing up at her father with an unimpressed look on her face.

"Someday, yes," Daemon nodded as he knelt to meet his daughter's height. "Give it time and the right care, the egg will hatch and you'll have a dragon of your own."

Valaena stared back down at the egg in her hands as it suddenly felt heavier than before. Her fingers traced the rough edges of the shell as her mind raced. She thought back to what she had overheard the other day, of her cousin's egg never hatching when he was a babe.

"But what if it doesn't?" Valeana asked with a nervousness in her stomach, feeling self-conscious with her locks of dark hair that fell upon her shoulders. "That's happened before, hasn't it?"

Daemon's expression softened as he reached out to gently lift Valaena's chin, tearing her eyes away from the egg to meet his gaze.

"It has," he admitted as he watched how her face fell. "But it doesn't mean you're not worthy. Sometimes a dragon won't hatch because your dragon is already out there waiting for you."

Valaena's eyes flickered with doubt as the words slipped through her lips before she could stop them, "But I'm just a bastard."

"Dragons don't care about titles and formalities," Daemon shook his head. "You are a Targaryen, Valaena. My blood, our blood runs through your veins."

Valaena found her gaze back on the dragon egg as a guard entered the room, clearing his throat to catch Daemon's attention as the prince released an sigh at being interrupted.

"My prince, the king has requested you attend to his chambers immediately," the guard informed him.

Daemon shook his head, obviously annoyed at being called away as he stood back onto his feet and placed a hand on Valaena's shoulder.

"Why don't you go place your egg in the fire," Daemon suggested as he gave her shoulder a reassuring squeeze before dropping his hand back down to his side. "I'll be back soon."

"Okay," Valaena nodded as the rest of the words died at her lips, Father.

"Good," Daemon smiled at her before turning toward the guard at the door. Valaena watched as he strode out of the room, the guard following closely behind as the doors closed firmly behind them leaving her alone in the unnecessary large room.

The fire crackled, filling the silence as she looked down at the egg in her hands. Following her father's advice, she approached the burning flames as she hesitantly reached out before dropping the egg into the fire.

Valaena watched the flames lick the sides of the jagged egg as she felt the nerves bubble to the surface again. Not wanting to think on the matter any longer, she turned away from the egg in hopes that keeping it out of her sight would mean she wouldn't think about it any longer.

Her feet brought her to her familiar comfort in the Red Keep, the gardens awaiting her as she brushed her hands against the hedge bushes that brought her towards the weeping tree. She paused when she arrived at the clearing, surprised at what waited for her under the tree.

Rhaenrya spotted her first, smiling as she held the young boy with brown hair in her arms while he struggled to escape her grasp.

"Valaena," Rhaenrya greeted as she waved the young girl over, releasing her hold on the boy as he escaped her grasp. "Come, join us."