CHAPTER 5 PUSHED AWAY

Winter slowly gave way to spring, bringing a thaw to Maplewood. The snow melted, and the park began to bloom with new life. Natasha eagerly awaited the first letter from Warren since hearing about his accident. She checked the mailbox every day, hoping for some sign that he was okay and ready to reconnect.

Finally, one day, she found an envelope with his handwriting. Her heart leaped as she tore it open, but as she read, her excitement turned to confusion and worry.

---

**Dear Natasha,**

Thanks for your letter and for checking in. I'm doing better now, but things are different. The accident made me realize a lot about myself and what I need to focus on. The city is demanding, and I need to concentrate on school and soccer without distractions.

It's been great being friends, but I think it's best if we take a break from writing. I hope you understand.

Take care,
Warren

---

Natasha's hands trembled as she read and reread the letter. It was short, cold, and completely unlike Warren. She couldn't believe he would just cut her off like that. Desperation and confusion overwhelmed her as she sat down to write a reply.

---

**Dear Warren,**

I’m so sorry to hear how you're feeling, but I don’t understand. We promised to stay friends no matter what. I’m here for you, and I want to support you. Please don’t push me away. Let’s talk about this.

Your friend,
Natasha

---

Days turned into weeks with no response. Natasha’s worry deepened. She decided to call Warren’s mom again, hoping to get some clarity.

"Hello, Mrs. Anderson. It’s Natasha again. I got a letter from Warren, but something doesn’t seem right. He said he wants to take a break from writing. Do you know if he’s okay?"

There was a pause before Mrs. Anderson spoke. "Oh, Natasha. Warren has been struggling a lot since the accident. He’s been very withdrawn and hasn’t been himself. He doesn’t talk much, even to us. Maybe he just needs time."

Natasha thanked her and hung up, feeling a mix of sadness and helplessness. She didn't want to give up on Warren, but she also didn’t want to force herself into his life if he truly needed space.

One afternoon, Natasha sat under the old oak tree, staring at the memory book they had created. Each page reminded her of their bond, and she couldn’t accept that it was over. She decided to try one last time.

---

**Dear Warren,**

I can’t pretend that your last letter didn’t hurt. But I care about you too much to just let go without a fight. I understand that you’re going through a tough time, but please don’t shut me out. We’ve been through so much together, and I want to be there for you, even if it’s just to listen.

If you need space, I’ll give it to you. But please, don’t end our friendship like this. Write back when you’re ready.

Always your friend,
Natasha

---

She mailed the letter and waited, hoping that Warren would find his way back to their friendship. Weeks passed with no reply. Natasha tried to stay busy, spending more time with Emily and throwing herself into school activities. But the void left by Warren’s absence was always there, a dull ache in her heart.

One day, she received a brief, terse letter from Warren.

---

**Dear Natasha,**

I’m sorry if my last letter hurt you. I just need to focus on my life here. Please understand that it’s not personal. I just need to figure things out on my own.

Warren

---

The brevity and coldness of his words cut deep. Natasha felt tears welling up, but she refused to let them fall. She realized that Warren was determined to push her away, and there was nothing she could do to change his mind.

She penned one last letter, hoping to leave the door open for the future.

---

**Dear Warren,**

I respect your decision, even though it hurts. I want you to know that I’ll always be here for you. If you ever need a friend, you know where to find me. Take care of yourself.

With hope,
Natasha

---

As she sent off the letter, Natasha felt a sense of finality. She had done everything she could to hold onto their friendship. Now, it was up to Warren. She hoped that, in time, he would find his way back.

The days grew warmer, and life in Maplewood continued. Natasha focused on her friendships with Emily and others, finding new adventures and creating new memories. But a part of her heart remained with Warren, waiting for the day he might reach out again.

And so, life moved forward, with Natasha holding onto hope that true bonds, though strained, could still find a way to endure.