CHAPTER 11 TENSION UNVEILED

As the summer days in Maplewood drifted towards their end, Natasha found herself grappling with a newfound resolve to navigate her feelings for Warren. She threw herself into the garden project and spent more time with Emily and Lily, cherishing their company and the distraction it provided.

One afternoon, Emily invited Natasha and Lily to join her for lunch at a cozy café in town. They chatted and laughed, enjoying each other’s company as they savored sandwiches and iced tea.

"Have you heard from Warren lately?" Emily asked casually, sipping her drink.

Natasha felt a twinge of discomfort at the mention of his name but managed a shrug. "Not really. I think he’s been busy with his own stuff."

Lily nodded in agreement. "Yeah, finals are coming up soon, so I’m sure he’s swamped with studying."

Their conversation moved on to lighter topics, but Natasha couldn’t shake the unease she felt whenever Warren’s name came up. She knew she had been avoiding him, not wanting to cause any awkwardness between him and Lily. It was easier this way, she told herself—safer for everyone involved.

A few days later, Natasha was at the garden, transplanting seedlings into freshly tilled soil, when she heard footsteps approaching. She looked up to see Warren striding towards her, his expression unreadable.

"Natasha," he said curtly, his voice tinged with frustration. "Can we talk?"

Natasha set down her gardening tools, her heart pounding in her chest. "Sure, Warren. What’s on your mind?"

He glanced around, his jaw clenched. "You’ve been avoiding me, Natasha. Ever since that day in the garden with Lily, you’ve been distant."

Natasha sighed, feeling a mix of guilt and apprehension. "I’m sorry, Warren. I didn’t mean to make things awkward."

Warren ran a hand through his hair, his frustration evident. "It’s not just that. I feel like you’re avoiding me for Lily’s sake. Like you don’t want to cause any problems between us."

Natasha looked down at her hands, struggling to find the right words. "I… I just thought it would be better this way. For everyone."

Warren shook his head, his voice softening slightly. "Natasha, you’re important to me. You always have been. And lately, I’ve been realizing just how much."

Natasha’s heart skipped a beat at his words, but she quickly pushed aside any hope they stirred. "Warren, we’ve both moved on. You have Lily, and she’s wonderful. I don’t want to come between you two."

Warren stepped closer, his gaze intense. "Maybe… maybe I don’t want you to stay away, Natasha. Maybe I miss you."

Natasha felt her resolve crumbling. She had spent so long trying to bury her feelings for Warren, but the raw honesty in his voice brought everything rushing back. She looked into his eyes, seeing a vulnerability she hadn’t expected.

"I… I can’t do this, Warren," she whispered, her voice barely audible. "I can’t go back to how things were."

Warren reached out, his hand hovering in the air between them. "I know. But maybe we don’t have to go back. Maybe we can find a way to move forward."

Before Natasha could respond, footsteps approached from behind them. Lily appeared at the edge of the garden, a smile on her face.

"Hey, I’ve been looking for you two," she said cheerfully. "What’s going on?"

Warren’s hand dropped to his side, and Natasha felt a pang of guilt at the sight of Lily’s unsuspecting expression. She quickly stepped back, her heart racing with a mixture of emotions.

"We were just… talking," Natasha replied, her voice trembling slightly. "Warren wanted to catch up."

Lily nodded, her smile widening. "That’s great! I’ll leave you two to it then. I’ll see you later, Warren."

As Lily walked away, Natasha watched her go, feeling a sense of dread settle over her. Warren turned back to Natasha, his expression conflicted.

"I’m sorry," he said softly, his gaze searching hers. "I didn’t mean to put you in this position."

Natasha shook her head, her eyes filling with tears. "It’s okay, Warren. It’s not your fault."

They stood in silence for a moment, the weight of their unspoken feelings hanging in the air. Natasha knew she had to stay strong, for Lily’s sake and for her own. She couldn’t risk jeopardizing what Warren had with Lily, no matter how much she still cared for him.

"I should go," Warren finally said, his voice thick with emotion. "Take care, Natasha."

Natasha nodded, unable to find her voice as she watched him walk away. She felt a sense of loss and longing that cut deep, but she knew she had made the right choice. Love wasn’t always about holding on—it was also about letting go, even when it hurt the most.

As she returned to her work in the garden, Natasha focused on the plants before her, their resilience and growth reminding her of her own journey. She had come so far, and she knew she had the strength to continue moving forward, one day at a time. And as she tended to the garden, she silently hoped that Warren would find the happiness and peace he deserved, even if it meant she had to sacrifice her own heart’s desires.