CHAPTER 2 THE LAST DAY OF SUMMER

The days in Maplewood were growing warmer as summer reached its peak. Natasha and Warren spent every available moment together, savoring the precious time they had left. The looming departure cast a shadow over their days, but they refused to let it dampen their spirits. They made a pact to make every day count.

One morning, Natasha woke with a sense of urgency. She grabbed her bike and pedaled furiously to Warren's house. She found him in the backyard, tinkering with his skateboard.

"Warren!" she called, breathless. "I've got an idea."

He looked up, wiping sweat from his brow. "What's up, Tash?"

"Let's make a memory book," she said, excitement bubbling in her voice. "We'll fill it with pictures, notes, and mementos from all our favorite places and moments. That way, no matter where you are, you'll have a piece of Maplewood with you."

Warren's face lit up. "That's a great idea! Let's start today."

They gathered supplies—an old scrapbook, markers, glue, and a camera Warren's mom had lent them. Their first stop was the park, of course. They snapped photos of the oak tree, the playground, and the bench where they'd shared countless stories. Natasha even took a picture of Warren hanging upside down from the monkey bars, his laughter captured forever in the frame.

Next, they visited the Maplewood General Store, where Mr. Thompson, the owner, greeted them with his usual cheerful smile. They bought their favorite candies and took a photo with Mr. Thompson, who promised to display a copy in the store.

Throughout the day, they continued their journey around town, visiting the library, the old bridge by the creek, and the abandoned treehouse they had claimed as their own secret hideout. Each location held a special memory, a story that was uniquely theirs.

As the sun began to set, they returned to Natasha's house to assemble their memory book. They spread out the photos, ticket stubs, and other trinkets on the living room floor. Natasha carefully glued each item onto the pages while Warren wrote captions and doodles in the margins.

"Remember this?" Warren said, holding up a photo of them covered in mud after a particularly adventurous day at the creek.

Natasha laughed. "How could I forget? We were grounded for a week after that."

They worked late into the night, reliving their memories and sharing stories. When the book was finally finished, they sat back and admired their work. It was a testament to their friendship, a physical reminder of the bond they shared.

"This is perfect," Warren said softly, running his fingers over the pages. "Thank you, Tash."

Natasha smiled, a tear slipping down her cheek. "It's not goodbye, you know. It's just... see you later."

Warren nodded, his own eyes glistening. "See you later."

The next morning, they met at the park for one last adventure before Warren's departure. They climbed the oak tree, their favorite spot, and sat in the branches, looking out over the town they loved.

"Promise me something," Natasha said, breaking the comfortable silence.

"Anything," Warren replied.

"Promise me that no matter what happens, we'll always stay friends. No matter how far apart we are, we'll always find a way to stay connected."

Warren reached out and took her hand, his grip firm and reassuring. "I promise, Natasha. Always."

As they sat together, the sun rising over Maplewood, they knew that their friendship was unbreakable. The memory book was just the beginning. They had letters to write, calls to make, and new memories to create, even if they were miles apart.

The day of Warren's departure arrived all too soon. Natasha stood in front of his house, clutching the memory book tightly to her chest. Warren's family was busy loading the last of their belongings into the car. He walked over to her, his expression a mix of sadness and determination.

"This isn't the end," he said, echoing her earlier words. "It's just see you later."

Natasha handed him the memory book, her eyes filled with tears she refused to let fall. "Take this with you. Whenever you feel homesick, just look through it. It'll be like I'm right there with you."

Warren took the book, holding it close. "Thank you, Natasha. I'll never forget this."

They hugged tightly, neither wanting to let go. Finally, Warren's mom called out, and he had to pull away.

"See you later," he whispered, giving her one last, lingering look before getting into the car.

Natasha watched as the car drove away, feeling a mixture of heartbreak and hope. She knew their friendship would endure, no matter the distance. And as she walked back to the park, she felt a sense of peace. Their bond was unbreakable, and no amount of miles could change that.

In the days that followed, Natasha and Warren settled into their new routine of letters and phone calls. Each message was a reminder that they were never truly apart. And with each passing day, they grew more certain that their friendship would last a lifetime.