Chapter 5

"Do you want to take a walk around the forest?" Alarie asked after some time.

The square was still as busy as it was when they first arrived, so Niel eagerly accepted the offer. "Sure. I need to clear my head."

She laughed, the sound breaking through the clamor of the crowded street. "Why did you even get tangled up in this mess? Don't you have other bounties to hunt?"

"I don't work that way," he said. "I don't hunt random bounties. I wait for people to hire me instead."

"Huh, interesting. Most bounty hunters I know just freely hunt targets or work in smaller groups. Didn't think there were some who worked for hire too."

"My father and brother were the same. Working in groups, I mean."

"Oh? Why aren't you working with them then?" she asked.

"Because they're dead."

Her eyes widened. "Oh- I- I'm sorry."

"It's alright. They suffered the consequences of their own actions." He shrugged. Once they got further away from the city, he continued. "My father was a bounty hunter even before we were born. He's been in the business for a long time, so he ended up forming his guild of sorts. We were always raised to be bounty hunters and take over the guild, but first our father died on the job, and my brother followed a few years later, so I didn't see the point in continuing that tradition."

Alarie raised her hand, and then awkwardly lowered it before putting both of them in her pockets. "I'm sorry. That... that must've been very difficult for you."

The noise from the city slowly dissipated as they went deeper into the forest, and Niel took a deep breath, enjoying the newfound silence. "It was at first, but I'm much happier with my work now that I do things my way. I don't enjoy all the ruthless killing anyways."

They reached a vast meadow circled by more tall trees. A river glided through the luscious green grass, breaking through the quiet forest. With the sun smiling down upon them and birds chirping above their heads, it seemed like a perfect place to stop and rest.

Alarie walked over to a nearby tree and tried to climb it. Somehow, she managed to look elegant even when she was hanging off a branch and pulling herself up just enough to swing her legs over and sit down. "Wanna join?"

Niel didn't like the sound of that, but the branch was thick and likely strong enough to support both of them. Even if it broke, the fall wouldn't be that painful. He quickly joined her, and she moved to the side to make some room for him.

They say in silence until she said, "It's nice that you have your own principals. Standing by them and taking a different approach to the job doesn't sound so easy."

"Well, it's not exactly an ideal path," he admitted. "Disbanding the guild and changing the way I worked earned me a... certain reputation among other bounty hunters. There aren't that many people who would hire me, so it's not the most stable job out there."

"Is that why you're so worried about this case?" she asked as she crossed her feet at the ankles and swung them back and forth.

He nodded. "I was lucky to be hired in the first place, especially by someone so rich and willing to pay a lot of money." She didn't reply. Both of them enjoyed their silence, listening only to the relaxing sounds of nature. "Do you want to continue?" he asked her after a few minutes.

She agreed, and he smoothly jumped down, then offered her a hand. Like an elegant white butterfly, she dropped onto the ground. Neither of them wanted to return to the city just yet, so they decided to walk further into the forest.