Chapter 23 - A Promise Kept

Marina places the artifact carefully next to some books, then turns to face Perci, who is lying in her bed of seaweed laced with coral.

"How are you feeling, Perci?" Marina asks, swimming over to her side.

Perci shifts uncomfortably, avoiding Marina's gaze. "I'm okay," she says shortly.

Marina senses the tension in Perci's voice. "Are you sure? You seem a bit off."

Perci lets out a frustrated sigh. "It's nothing, Marina. Just forget it."

Marina furrows her brow, concerned by Perci's sudden change in demeanour. "Perci, please. I can tell something's bothering you."

Perci's voice breaks the tense silence. "Why did you have to kill them, Marina?"

Marina's gaze hardens as she responds, her tone cold. "They had it coming, especially Mr. Harrison. He's the one responsible for Sam's death."

Perci's brow furrows with concern. "But what about the others? They weren't involved in any of this."

Marina's voice bristles with bitterness. "If you think those men were innocent, then you're just as blind as Captain Roberts."

Perci's eyes widen in surprise. "But you believed Captain Roberts once. What changed?"

Marina's expression darkens as memories flood back. "I did, and it almost cost me my life."

Perci's eyes narrow as she processes Marina's words. "But Marina, killing them won't bring Sam back."

Marina's jaw tightens, her expression hardening. "Maybe not, but it's justice. They took everything from me, Perci. They took Sam's life, they took my innocence, and they tried to take my future."

Perci's gaze softens, a hint of sympathy in her eyes. "I understand that, Marina. But sinking to their level won't make things right."

Marina shakes her head, frustration evident in her voice. "You don't understand, Perci. You weren't there. You didn't see the darkness in their hearts, the cruelty in their eyes."

Perci reaches out to touch Marina's arm, her touch gentle. "I know it's hard, Marina. But we can't let revenge consume us. It's not worth sacrificing our own humanity."

Marina pulls away, "I can't just let them get away with it, Perci. I won't."

Perci sighs, a sense of resignation in her voice. "I know you won't, Marina. Just... be careful. Don't let your anger cloud your judgment."

Marina meets Perci's gaze, a flicker of remorse in her eyes. "I won't, Perci. I promise."

As Marina and Perci sit in silence, the weight of their conversation hangs heavy in the air. Marina's mind races with conflicting emotions – anger, grief, and determination intertwine, making it hard to focus on anything else.

Perci breaks the silence, her voice softer now. "Marina, I know you're hurting. We both are. But we have to find a way to move forward, together."

Marina nods, her expression somber. "You're right, Perci. We are hurting, but maybe I can ease your pain. Do you have the incantation?"

Perci swims out of her seaweed bed and pulls the incantation out of one of her books, passing it to Marina.

"Do you feel well enough to bring back some mermaids?"

"Are you sure?" Perci questions, clearly trying not to get her hopes up.

"Yes I'm sure, I made a promise." Marina takes the artifact she placed next to the books and off they went.