Chapter 4 Questions and Fears

Lucifer found himself standing outside on his balcony the next morning. The Detective was sleeping in his guest room. It had gotten pretty late, and even though he was still very upset with her, he saw no reason for her to drive home so late. She was carrying his kid.

Lucifer was still trying to wrap his head around the fact that he was going to be a dad. He'd never been told anything more frightening in his very long life.

Lucifer didn't know what he was going to do. Well, he already knew that he would be there for his kid. There was no question in that regard. He was not going to abandon his kid the way that his parents had him. But he was very terrified of how he would handle it. He didn't know anything at all about kids. His only experience with them was the few occasions that he was around the Detective's other offspring.

Soon Lucifer heard movement inside, followed by the Detective's voice.

"Lucifer?" she called.

Lucifer walked back into the penthouse to find the Detective in the living room. "Morning, Detective. Did you sleep alright?" he asked.

"Yeah, considering. It wasn't exactly the best night's sleep." She had had Father Kinley on her mind for most of the night, worried about what he would do if or when he found out she was pregnant with Lucifer's baby. "I can see you didn't sleep though. You're still in your suit from yesterday," said Chloe.

"I had a lot on my mind," said Lucifer before taking a seat on the couch. It wasn't just the kid that he had to think about. He was also dealing with all he'd learned regarding the Detective and Father Kinley. The Detective had almost agreed to send him back to Hell. She had feared him so much that she was going to help Kinley send him back to Hell.

"I know," said Chloe with a sigh, before sitting down next to him. "I know you probably hate me for what I thought about doing."

Lucifer looked at her. "Did you change your mind because you found out you were pregnant?" he asked.

"Yes and no," answered Chloe. She had to be honest. As much as she wanted to say that her decision had nothing at all to do with the baby, she couldn't. She had to tell the whole truth. They needed to start with a clean slate.

Lucifer glared at her with a look of irritation on his face. That was a very cryptic answer and he didn't like that. "I'm fairly certain that it's one or the other not both, Detective."

Chloe sighed. "Well, it's not. It's more complicated than that. Finding out that I was pregnant changed a lot. It changed how I viewed things, like how I viewed Father Kinley. I started to realize that I couldn't trust Father Kinley. I started to view him as a threat," she said.

"Because you were carrying the Devil's kid," said Lucifer.

"Yes," she told him. "I decided to put some distance between myself and him by coming home."

Lucifer eyed her bitterly. "So, it was because of the baby that you changed your mind," he said.

"Not completely, please, just let me finish," said Chloe.

Lucifer nodded.

"The baby also helped me to slow down and think things through. From the very moment I had my first ultrasound, I loved this baby, and I thought about Kinley, who I knew would judge her or him just because they were yours. That also made me realize that I was doing the very same thing. I was judging you based on what I saw, as well as the flimsy evidence that a stranger was presenting to me. Then I thought about everything we've been through together. I recalled every single meeting or conversation we've ever had. That along with working with you again made me see just how wrong I'd been, that Father Kinley was wrong. So, yes, the baby got me thinking, but deep down, I always knew that I wouldn't be able to go through with it and that I always knew the truth," explained Chloe.

Lucifer looked at her still with a bitter look on his face. "But if not for the baby you'd still have..."

Chloe shook her head. "If not for the baby, I still wouldn't have been able to go through with it. It might have taken me a little bit longer to have seen the truth, but I would've, I'm positive of that. Lucifer, there's no way for me to express to you how truly sorry I am. This was by far the worst mistake I've ever made in my whole life. I hope you can forgive me," said Chloe.

Lucifer sighed, and asked, "Are you afraid of me now?"

Chloe shook her head again. "What you can do scares me, but not you personally. I know that you'd never intentionally hurt me, or anyone that didn't deserve it. I'm still dealing with it all though, but you're still my partner, and I know that I can trust you. Though I understand if you can't trust me. I may have to earn that back," said Chloe.

"I'd say so, yes," said Lucifer tightly.

Lucifer's words gave Chloe some hope. Lucifer was admitting that he didn't trust her, but he was also saying that she did have a chance to earn his trust back again. If he was willing to give her that chance that is, she had hope.

Lucifer looked at her asking, "Does anyone else know about the baby?"

She shook her head no. "No. I wasn't going to tell anyone before I told you. Trixie doesn't even know yet. It's a good thing I kept it a secret with Kinely in the picture. But we're going to need to figure something out because it's going to be noticeable soon though," said Chloe.

"You're frightened of him," Lucifer realized.

She nodded, "Yeah, but I am more angry than scared. I wanted to kill him for the things he about your kid when he came to my house," said Chloe with anger in her voice.

Lucifer looked at her shocked. "What? You said he didn't know," said Lucifer.

Chloe shook her head. "No, he doesn't know. He was trying to tell me how dangerous you were. He started to talk about the possible creation of the Antichrist," she said.

Lucifer scowled and let out a growl. "There is no such thing as the Antichrist. That is a myth created by humans in their quest to portray me as the most evil being in the universe. In their eyes, I'm going to reproduce and create some evil being. It's ridiculous. It's something that Maze and I used to laugh about, and from what Amenadiel's said to me, it's a bit of a running joke in the Silver City as well. None of us even thought we could procreate, let alone for me to create this pure evil being."

Chloe nodded. "I got really angry when he started talking about destroying our baby. I'm afraid he might be a real threat, Lucifer." She looked at him worry evident on her face. "He made it very clear he has no qualms about hurting an innocent baby. He even stated that he doesn't consider any kid of yours to be an actual kid."

Lucifer had to admit he was uneasy himself. He'd handled priests in the past, but this one seemed different. He thought he had a way of sending him back to Hell, and he had already sort of threatened his kid. This was a threat he needed to take seriously. "You and the Urchin should come here and live with me," he said.

Chlie was caught off guard. "What?" she said. "Look, I agree that we should take Kinley and his threat seriously, but if I'm alert and careful, we should be okay, right?" she asked.

Lucifer didn't feel convinced. "I don't know," Lucifer said. "I don't want to take any chances. This man seems to think he has the power and ability to send me back to Hell."

Chloe sighed, she knew he had a point there. Kinley was dangerous, and God knows just how many of his brethren would help him. "Let me think about it for a bit, okay? Things aren't exactly the greatest between us right now and I'm reluctant to uproot Trixie. I will give it some serious thought though. We have a little time before I start showing. Kinley doesn't know that I'm pregnant yet."

Lucifer nodded. "Very well," he said, "but you should probably think quickly. He may not know yet, but he could find out easily."

Chloe gave him a small smile. "I will. Right now, I should be heading home. I have to get ready for work and take Trixie to school," said Chloe before standing up.

Lucifer stood up too. "I'll drive you," he said.

She was about to point out that she had driven her car here, but she realized that Lucifer just wanted to make sure she got home safe. "Okay," she said before going into the guest room to get her things.