Chapter One.

The ground and landscape seemed to whip past her as she watched, the smooth stir of the wheels humming underneath them. She watched as trees stretched and swayed as they pasted, resting her chin on her hand as she did. Sounds from the radio were distantly heard, as Jill had insisted that they play music on such a boring car ride. It was a random rap song, the beat thumping against the car and ruining the slight peace that Thea was managing to hold onto.
  She had no interest in going to a summer camp, and growing up hearing all about her mothers survival in one, she really hated the idea. What had shocked Thea, was that it was their mother who had signed them up. Thea had complained about how she hated the small town of Merricks, with their constant whispers and stares, and Anna had decided that meant they should get away for the summer. At first, Thea had loved the idea of going away for a few weeks, until she was being dragged to a summer camp. Horrible wifi that everyone and their mom would be on, a bunch of kids from near towns and shared bathrooms and cabins.. No thanks..
“Dorothy- Dottie!” Charlotte called to her, shaking her shoulder. She sat up, looking over at her older sister.
  “Yeah?” she responded, not used to Charlotte calling her the nickname their parents had given her.
“Mom wants to know if you remembered your flashlight.” she hummed, going back to a normal volume and Thea had to stop herself from huffing.
“I didn’t, not like I’ll need it. I don’t plan on going hiking at night. I have a phone anyways.” she raddled off reasons she didn’t need one, as she saw her mother look at her worriedly through the mirror.
  “Just in case, Dottie.” Her mother tried to smile, but Thea couldn’t get herself to even seem happy. She knew it wasn’t her mothers fault, that she was a victim, but she couldn’t but hate her for the attention she brought to them all. Instead she nodded, looking towards the window as they began to pull up onto the dock. Her father turned down the music, stopping it from thumping against the car and in turn Thea.
  As they pulled into a parking spot, Thea unbuckled her seat belt and waited for Charlotte to climb out of the car, before following out the same side. She went around to the back of the car, grabbing her two suitcases and backpack from the truck once handed to her. As her father pulled the bags from the car, each sister grabbed their own, until the back no longer looked like a game of tetris.
  “Don’t hurt your back, Arthur.” their mother scolded slightly, concern in her voice, as their father lifted out the last bag with a grunt. Their father pulled the trunk closed and took his wife’s hand in his.
  As they walked towards the loading station of the dock, Thea was aware of some of the stares she was getting from kids from Merricks. She needed to tell was if the kids were staring at Anna like she was the easter bunny or something. She felt her grip tighten around her suitcases and she had to retrain herself from throwing them onto the pile of other ones.
  “You're glaring at them as though they offend you by existing.” Charlotte whispered to her, a smile playing at her lips.
  “Maybe they have.” Thea smirked, as she played along with her sisters teasing. Charlotte scoffed, a laugh hiding underneath.
  “Try and be friendly, will you? I know this sucks, but I want to make the most of it.” Charlotte said in a more serious voice, and Thea knew she really did want her to try. She pursed her lips, subconsciously scanning over some of the kids.
  “I will..” she said quietly, before looking at Charlotte. “Oof!” Charlotte hugged her tightly for a moment, before pulling back.
  “Oh, my little baby sister is getting so big! Going to try and socialise and all!” she said dramatically, smiling and Thea couldn’t help but smile back. It was one of her unguarded and dorky smiles, that mostly only Charlotte got.
  “Thank you, Thea, I know you don’t like this.” Charlotte whispered, the nickname warming her heart. It was an unspoken promise that Charlotte wouldn’t call her Thea in front of their parents, because she knew it would irk her to no end if they started to as well. Thea was hers and hers alone, and to have her parents use it felt like just accepting that she was only seen as their daughter. The survivor’s daughter and nothing more.
  Charlotte pulled away as Jill and their parents stepped closer. Charlotte and Thea quickly hugged them, saying their goodbyes as Jill waited impatiently. After giving their farewell, the sisters boarded the boat that would take them and a third of the kids to the camp on the island. The waves licked up the side of the boat and Thea felt a little of that stolen peace some back.