27. Echoes of Fear

Bella's POV

As we were enjoying our time together, his phone rang, and I noticed him growing tense as he answered.

After he hung up, he turned to me, his expression serious. "I have to meet with a client to finalize a deal, and I can't afford to miss it. But I don't want to leave you here alone either. Would you mind coming with me?"

I tried to reassure him, saying, "It's fine. I can manage."

"Are you sure you don't mind waiting in the car?" he asked, concerned.

"I've got a book," I replied, holding it up for him to see.

"Won't you get bored?"

Again, I said, "I've got a book."

"This might take about an hour," he warned.

I gave him a tight smile and waved the book in front of him, indicating I was prepared.

He looked a bit relieved but still concerned. "Alright, but if you need anything, just call me, okay?"

"Don't worry," I said, trying to ease his anxiety. "I'll be fine."

His hand lingering on the door handle. "I really appreciate this. I know it's not ideal."

I smiled at him, hoping to convey more confidence than I felt. "Seriously, it's no problem. Go take care of your meeting."

He nodded, gave me a grateful look, and then headed inside. I watched him go, feeling a bit out of place in the car but determined to make the best of it.

I settled into my seat and opened my book, quickly losing myself in its pages. Occasionally, I glanced up to watch people passing by or to check the time on my phone. The minutes seemed to drag, but the book kept me occupied.

Just as I reached a particularly intense part of the story, I was startled by a tapping on the car window.

Who could that be? What are they thinking?

I tried to ignore them, but the tapping grew louder and more insistent, and a wave of fear washed over me.

Thank goodness the door is locked.

To my horror, they pulled out a tool and shattered the car window.

Glass splintered across the seat, and I instinctively recoiled, my heart pounding in my chest. A man leaned in through the broken window, his face masked and eyes sharp with intent.

No, this can't be happening. Stay calm, Bella.

"Get out of the car!" he barked, the urgency in his voice sending chills down my spine.

I have to do something. Think, Bella, think!

I froze, clutching my book tightly to my chest, too terrified to move. My mind raced, trying to think of a way to escape or call for help.

Stay focused. There has to be a way out of this.

The man reached through the shattered window and unlocked the door from the inside. The door swung open with a creak, and he grabbed my arm, yanking me out of the car.

"Please, don't hurt me," I managed to stammer, my voice trembling.

Just cooperate. Don't provoke him.

"Just cooperate and you won't get hurt," he said gruffly, pulling me away from the car.

Desperation surged through me. I glanced around, hoping someone might see us and intervene, but the street was eerily empty.

Anyone, please, notice us.

As he dragged me toward a van parked nearby, I tried to think of what to do. Should I scream, try to run, or wait for an opportunity to escape? My thoughts were jumbled, fear clouding my judgment.

Stay calm. Wait for the right moment.

The man pulled me towards the van with a vice-like grip, the rough edge of his tool glinting in his other hand. Panic surged through me, and my thoughts scrambled for a way out. My heart pounded in my ears, drowning out the ambient sounds of the street.

Keep your wits about you, Bella. You can get through this.

As he forced me to the side of the van, the side door slid open, revealing a dimly lit interior.

Oh no, this can't be happening... Stay calm, Bella. Stay calm.

"Get in," he ordered, his voice harsh and unyielding. I hesitated, and his grip tightened painfully on my arm.

What choice do I have? Just do what he says. Focus.

"I said, get in!"

With no choice, I climbed into the van, my legs trembling. He followed, slamming the door shut behind us. The confined space and the musty smell inside intensified my fear. The windows were heavily tinted, making it impossible for anyone outside to see in.

It's so dark in here. Keep breathing, Bella.

Before I could react, he tied a cloth over my eyes, plunging me into darkness.

No, no, no! I can't see... Think, Bella, think!

I screamed for help, hoping someone would hear and come to my rescue. My voice echoed off the van walls, but there was no response, only the sound of my captor moving around.

Please, someone, anyone...

Panic surged through me as I felt a second cloth being pressed to my nose and mouth. A sickly sweet smell filled my nostrils—chloroform.

Oh God, no! Fight, Bella, fight!

I struggled, trying to twist away, but the cloth was held firmly in place. My head began to spin, and a heavy dizziness settled over me, making my limbs feel like lead.

Stay awake, Bella. Don't let them...

My cries for help grew weaker, fading into muffled gasps as the darkness closed in.

Stay strong, Bella. You have to...

My vision blurred, and my strength ebbed away

________