Chapter 5

Days later, Kaveh and Zhongli managed to agree on an idea and started preparing materials. Apparently, Zhongli commissioned someone with creative and artistic skills to come to Liyue and discuss design ideas for the upcoming Lantern Rite and how it would look. With Zhongli's detailed history in Liyue, Kaveh came up with a few ideas and Zhongli picked one.

Well, he's not creating an architectural building, but at least he's helping create a Liyuen aesthetic. He was lucky to read Liyuen culture in one of the books when he was strolling around in the Akademiya.

While Zhongli was picking up half of the materials on his side, Kaveh searched for his half in the designated place he was told to go. The only thing that's bothering him is that he felt like he was being watched.

'It's probably paranoia,' Kaveh thought as he picked up lanterns from a shop with a smile towards the merchant who waved back with a matching grin. "Alrighty, so what's next? Huh, incense, hm... Now where do I get these?"

"Incense, you say?" A male voice chimed in from behind, making Kaveh startled as he whipped his head around. "I have a few fine incense sticks on my person right now, so if you need them, I'll be glad to hand you some."

"Oh no, you don't have to, I can just find incense sticks in stores-"

"And where would a fellow Sumerian find incense sticks as a recent tourist?" the man chuckled before handing him incense sticks. "Don't forget you're in the City of Commerce, lad. I doubt you have the Mora to purchase such, even if the sticks are cheaper than the original price."

Well, fine. If he was offered to take them for free, he'd gladly accept!

"Ah, you didn't have to, really... but thank you, sir!" Kaveh bowed down to show his respect and the man nodded. "When you have the time, you can come revisit the Statue of Pervases's rebuilt temple and offer the incense. It'll be appreciated if you do."

"I'll stop by when I can then," Kaveh says for the sake of respect. Well, he will if he's gonna promise it.

"Alright then sir. Have a good time in Liyue!"

Kaveh stored the incense in his beloved portable suitcase, Mehrak, and left the Liyuen citizen with the temple, rechecking his list if he needed anything else before returning to Zhongli.

While walking back to the harbor, the ground slightly shook beneath him, and at first, the architect didn't know if it was his imagination until he felt a small wave of elemental energy behind him.

Snapping his head around, he spotted a creature rolling towards him and quickly took out Mehrak. The floating suitcase understood the situation -as Kaveh expected of his handiwork- and summoned his claymore.

The problem is, the creature had Geo elements, and being the Dendro user Kaveh is, it's futile. He'll have to stick to physical attacks but even then, he doesn't know the proper way of fighting.

Oh, he's super screwed.

"Solidify!"

Suddenly a Geo pillar shot up from the ground in between the architect and creature, and the latter whammed into it, ending up upside down, legs flailing around like a beetle when flipped.

"Mister Kaveh," Zhongli spoke from behind, and Kaveh breathed a sigh of relief when he saw his familiar face.

"Ah Zhongli sir," Kaveh gave him a smile. "Thanks for that save."

"It is no problem. But please stay away from this area next time. There are a few more of these creatures roaming around, and I cannot promise it'll let you escape unscathed."

"Sorry Mister Zhongli. Are you done with getting your materials?"

"Yes, I have been done long ago and decided to see if you need any help."

That's thoughtful of him. If he hadn't, Kaveh was sure he'd be pancaked by the monster.

"Alright then. Here's all the items I got from my part." He summoned Mehrak and reached his hand inside. Zhongli stared in surprise as Kaveh took out items that didn't seem like they'd fit in a small suitcase like his. It's like a magician pulling out a huge baseball bat from a top hat!

"I must say, that is quite an incredible device," Zhongli says, slightly coughing into his hand to hide his surprise, and Kaveh chuckled. "Yes, Mehrak is my creation after collecting a few mechanical parts from the desert in a ruin. He was also made with a special core that helps store things that don't fit in a normal suitcase like blueprints. Although I can't fit an antique vase..."

"I now see how you summoned your claymore, then."

"It's easier than holding it, honestly." Kaveh shrugged. "So... where next?"

Zhongli hummed in thought. "I have thought of heading to someplace I know of to speak to fellow friends. However, I cannot bring a foreigner alongside me. I hope you understand."

"Oh, uh, sure. You can go now then, I won't delay you any longer!"

"Good. We shall meet again at Wangsheng Funeral Parlor once I am done." Zhongli nodded and bid farewell to the Sumerian architect before heading off.