Alternate History-Beginning to the Dreadnought Age

The following is a brief introduction to the alternate history and a very basic explanation for the beginning of the timeline. This will be followed by a general timeline focused around ship procurement, said vessel's general features, and a recap of the timeline of naval development.

Introduction,

After rapid economic development and growth as a British colony during the late 1700's and the early half of the 1800's, Canada would officially become a recognized country. Still being very much under the command of the British Empire, the new nation would use its geographic location and growing economic power to become the guardian of Pacific colonies after her navy was established in 1866. Based out of the Royal Navy Yard in Esquimalt, most available ships on the West coast would become stationed in Singapore to protect the much weaker colonial assets in the region after Imperial Germany gained partial control over New Guinea in 1884. Meanwhile, the ships of the East coast would mostly hold their positions at home with some training with the Grand fleet in the Atlantic until the Great War broke out.

(NOTE; the naval bases in Esquimalt and Halifax would also be used to flex Great Britain's colonial muscles over the United States during this time while the two nations still didn't see eye to eye.)

Ship Procurement and general naval historical development,

Despite its industrious power, Canada's shipbuilding industries on both the East and West coast were not yet ready for large warship construction in 1876 when serious procurement began (though vessels around the size of frigates or smaller could be built) It is because of this, that Canada's first large warships would be ordered and built in Britain. Using knowledge, plans, and shipbuilding practices passed down from the British, Canada's first fifty torpedo boats licensed built from the lightning class and fifteen frigates licensed built from the outdated Ister class would be built laid down starting in 1879 They would be divided between the two coastlines as such; Fifteen torpedo boats would be built on and serve on the West coast, and thirty-five torpedo boats would be built on and serve the East coast. The ratio would be similar for the frigates, being five built in the West, and ten in the East.

(NOTE; during this time, an adequate roster of small- and large-scale vessels such as auxiliary and supply vessels would be built for the RCN both domestically and in Great Britain.)

The first 'large' warships ordered for the Royal Canadian Navy would be nine Imperieuse first class cruisers which would be laid down in 1882 and delivered in 1885. Three of these ships would be stationed on the East coast, while the remaining six would be stationed on the West coast. This would be done because by this time, the focus of naval assets would shift to the West as Imperial Germany has taken partial control over New Guinea, presenting a potentially significant threat to British and by extension Canadian interests. The next 'large' warships becoming six protected cruisers of the Blake class. The first of these ships would be laid down in Britain in 1888, while the remaining five would be laid down in newly completed Canadian shipyards in 1889. All vessels would be delivered by 1895, with two being stationed on the East coast, and the other four remaining in the West.

In 1893 Canada would acquire her first torpedo boat destroyers, ordering twenty A-class boats. Six of these ships would be built in Great Britain for the East, while 12 would be built in Esquimalt to be stationed there.

The final 'large' warships commissioned into the RCN before HMS Dreadnought made her debut would be six modified protected cruisers of the Powerful class. These ships would all be built in Canada, and would be laid down in 1894, and commissioned by 1898. The Powerful class cruisers were divided equally between East and West coast with three being stationed on either coast.

(NOTE; by this point in time, Canadian designers have begun modifying the designs sold to/shared with them by the British to suit Canada's needs more specifically. From this point onwards, Canadian design teams would finally set to work on entirely domestic designs to be built in conjunction with modified or entirely British designs. This would lead into the first theory and conceptual work into battleships as potential future assets.)