Chapter 8 - Wriothesley the idiot

Furina's POV

 "So... Are you going to tell me what that man did to have you... How should I put this? Hunting him?"

 "As I've said before, his name is Dougier. He is an asshole-"

 "Watch your language in front of the archon, Wriothesley." Clorinde cut in.

 "Well, excuse me then, allow me to rephrase. He is a bastard who deserves a fate worse than death-"

 "Wriothesley."

 "Now, what was wrong with that one?"

 "You changed asshole to bastard. What do you think is wrong with it?" Clorinde asked sarcastically.

 "Your unbending personality." Wriothesley grinned in return.

 There was a moment of silence before Clorinde came to stand in front of me and bowed slightly.

 "Lady Furina, may I put a few holes through his person?" She asked.

 ...

 I am tempted to agree.

 It seems that Wriothesley's teasing is bringing out the not-so-work-apropriate side of Clorinde's personality. Not that it isn't a welcome change of pace.

 It's quite a musing to see the ever-so-cold Clorinde so bothered.

 Still, shooting or stabbing a few holes through Neuvillette's future mate, however tempting, might not be the best idea.

 "No, you cannot and Duke Wriothesley, please behave yourself appropriately in front of your archon." 

 He gave me a look that seemed to say 'archon huh?' but in the end, he shrugged his shoulders.

 "Of course, Lady Furina."

 Ugh...

 I really should find some kind of legal loophole that could give him the right to drop the formalities. I get the chills every time he calls me lady.

 It's not mocking or anything. On the contrary, it seems overly respectful for someone who knows the truth, but...

 I feel like he is teasing me!

 Ugh!

 That aside, I thought it would have been more stressful if someone knew about my secret, but it's quite relieving instead.

 That might also be because of Wriothesley's incredibly easygoing attitude towards it. It's as if he never even considered the truth of my identity a problem at all. Makes me wonder about the future.

 But for now, we really need to talk.

 "Clorinde, I will speak with Duke Wriothesley in private."

 "Lady Furina, that is-"

 "My decision is final." I put my foot down.

 I am supposed to be the Hydro Archon. I cannot be rattled-

 Oh, Focalors! Clorinde's stare is as intimidating as always!

 Stay strong, Furina. Stay strong.

 "As you wish, my lady. I will be right outside so just call out if I'm needed."

 Phew!

 I waited till I heard the door downstairs close behind her before I finally relaxed and leaned back comfortably on the couch, grabbing the plate of cakes Wriothesley had collected for me in the process.