PART TWO: CHAPTER ONE

october 29th, 1984

mondays were never fun for anybody. most people were forced back into depressing normalcy after 2 days of free time. children had to get up at 7 in the morning for school, adults were up earlier for their 9 to 5's.

for june, though, monday couldn't come any sooner. not all mondays, obviously, but today meant getting to see eddie again, which was also exciting. they saw each other saturday, but a day apart felt like eternity for june.

sunday wasn't all bad, though. he got to hang out with eleven all day watching cheesy romances...

it was a relief that she was alive. it made june feel better, like the rescue mission for him and will last year didn't have as huge of a death toll.

she was kind, like mike had described her. she didn't say much, but that was okay because her and june understood one another, weirdly enough.

he did feel guilty, though, sharing a room with her. they both told hopper to take the second room of the cabin, which they moved into for el's safety, but june still felt like el didn't like sharing a room with a boy.

especially because of school. june got up at 6 this morning and reached up to slam his alarm clock off. he groaned and rubbed his eyes before laying back down.

he felt a little hand poke his hair. "june," eleven urged.

"el," he said, dragging out the 'l'. he rolled towards her.

"school," she said, shaking june again.

"why are you even awake?" he asked, running a hand over his face. he got up, because she wouldn't budge. he lifted the blankets up off his body and stretched.

she pointed to the alarm as her response. he pursed his lips. "sorry you got stuck sharing a bedroom with me. it's gotta suck," he said.

"no," she smiled and ruffled his hair, which was something she started doing since she saw hopper do it to june once.

june laughed and ruffled her hair back, causing her to giggle. "come on, I'll make us breakfast," he got up and grabbed a t-shirt out of his dresser drawer, slipping it on over the tank top he wore to bed.

they walked into the kitchen and june went straight into the freezer to grab four eggo waffles. he popped two into the toaster for eleven. she followed him while he moved around the kitchen.

"el, go watch tv, hon," he eventually told her after she'd bumped into him a third time.

she frowned. "i like to watch," she said quietly. her eggo's popped up in the toaster and june grabbed them, plating the two waffles before he put his own in.

"here," he smiled and lifted her up, setting her down on the counter. "you watch from there, and I'll get to work on our breakfast, okay?" she smiled and he ruffled her curly hair, which he was jealous of.

she watched contently while he got to making a breakfast for all three of them. two eggo's, one peanut butter and one regular butter, fried egg and a glass of milk for eleven, three eggo's, two sunny-side up eggs and a cup of coffee for hopper and two peanut butter eggo's and a cup of coffee for june.

he sighed when he finished it all, setting all the plates on their kitchen table. he sat down with eleven and they ate in silence, minus the sound of the radio playing in the background. june preferred the radio to the television, but eleven liked tv better. she still loved listening to music with june, though.

eleven enjoyed doing most things that june did, which june found endearing.

"so, i was thinking," june said, taking a bite of his waffle, "halloween's tomorrow, why don't i come home from my date early, buy us a few bags of candy, some pumpkins, and we'll watch scary movies, eat candy and carve pumpkins tomorrow?" he suggested, smiling at eleven.