Chapter 17

The last celebration to be held at the Red Keep was three years ago. Namely it was the King's nameday celebration where he announced the betrothal of his two youngest children.

Now, three years later, the Red Keep and all of King's Landing was once again preparing itself to celebrate the marriage of King's first born son.

Time seemed to fly by in a whirlwind as the preparations for the wedding celebration began. It has been keeping everyone on the edge ever since; especially the Queen—who has had her hands full with all the problems weighing down her shoulders. Starting with her decaying husband. Her cunning father whose ambitious knows no beyond. Her five children— each of whom are a unique character. Amongst them the two most mismatched ones are getting tied down to one another.

While Helaena had no reaction when Alicent had broken down the news of her nuptial to her, but Aegon certainly did. He tried to flee, only to be caught by Ser Erryk at the Meagor's holdfast and be dragged back. It was embarrassing to watch nonetheless.

Then Daeron — the child that gives Alicent least amount of trouble — has suddenly decided to partake in the upcoming tourney. It wouldn't have posed an issue, if he were of proper age and not two and ten. How would he compete against experienced knights and men being such a young boy.

Initially Alicent assumed it was Aemma who instigated the idea. Turns out she at least has the sense to understand how risky it could be and in fact relentlessly discouraged him to her best ability. But for the first time Daeron didn't listen to her. He remained steadfast in his decision, determined he would win and crown her before all— Queen of Love and Beauty.

So far the only two that has been surprisingly helpful and cooperative were Aemond and Aemma. For having the best handwriting the Queen made them write the invitation letter. Aemma even went as far as to help design the dress for Helaena. The only disappointment for Alicent was that for herself Aemma chose the colour combination of black and red— true Targaryen colour— for all occasions. And here Alicent was hoping for once Aemma would wear green.

***

The Baratheons were one of the first guests to arrive, much to Maris's dismay.

Due to not being in the best of position with her betrothed, she decided it would be best to keep herself a good distance away from her family; especially her sisters— those bitter bitches, who'd love nothing more than to gloat on her misery. She already has had enough, having her patience being tested on more occasions than she can count by now. Last thing she needed now is to be further humiliated in front of her sisters.

Her naive heart was hoping for them to not come at all. But then she received a raven, informing that her family was due to arrive soon. Her thoughts ran as grim as to hope for them — her own family— to get perished on the way. But fortunately for them and unfortunately for her, nothing of that sort happened.

Amongst other notable guests were Vaemond Velaryon and his family. Rhaenys's absence was whispered about although it was understandable and in a way expected. Considering how brutal the last few years have been for her— losing both the children one after the other, in addition to that mourning them all alone when her husband— the sea snake, suddenly set sail for the Stepstones again.

Rhaenyra Targaryen's clan was also not in attendance, even though the very first ravens was sent to Dragonstone. However a quick response did come. The heir had congratulated her siblings and wished them the best. She also sent her apology for not being able to attend due to recently being with child again. But Alicent knew it was all an excuse. In truth, Rhaenyra lacked the courage to face her after everything that transpired at Driftmark.