Chapter 9, The home stretch

"𝐒𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐬 𝐨𝐟𝐟, 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐟𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐧𝐝𝐬 𝐥𝐢𝐟𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐮𝐩 𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐢𝐫 𝐡𝐞𝐚𝐝𝐬"

Just three days before you finished shooting, a familiar sound caught your attention. Bella was on the other side of the room, not only smiling, but straight up chuckling at a joke one of the crewmembers made. It felt rough to not be the one who made them laugh, but you shrugged it off and went on with your day.

After all, you were the one who just couldn't handle being around them anymore. But the uncomfortable feeling that once took over your stomach now seemed to have fully faded away, exchanged with a fear of missing out. Unlike anything you had felt before, but you tried to ignore it all.

There was no use in getting caught up in anything on the side. Gail had been calling, and though you had promised to call her back, a part of you was wondering whether you were actually going to. With so many things going on right in front of you, it felt impossible to even try and look for a distraction like that.

Something about her reaching out to you still felt odd, and you still thought she was only pretending to care in exchange for something. You figured that if she stopped calling after the premiere, that Gail's intentions must be genuine. Until then, you decided not to pick up the phone.

"You alright?" Jodie asked, her head tilted and a concerned look on her face. You brushed her off, shaking your head while letting out a light chuckle. "I'm fine." Your eyes darted across the room when you heard yet another chuckle.

What could possibly be that funny to them? Maybe they were faking it for your attention, but then again that was very unlike Bella. Their eyes told you it was all genuine, yet they still didn't dare to look over at you.

Though you knew you had created the distance between the two of you yourself, it still felt mean, and cold. "Okay guys, let's take our positions." You half-yelled, the wind causing a strand of hair to enter your mouth. You awkwardly tucked it behing your ear, hoping no one saw you.

Searching around you, your eyes met Bella's, a small smile on their face. Out of all the possible people who could have seen you, they did. Instead of ignoring it, they just smiled. You couldn't stop yourself from smiling back, causing for their cheeks to fill with colour.

Their eyes quickly found the ground as they made their way to their assigned position. It was a brief moment of peace, but it had been there. It was enough to get you going for the day, to remind you that you weren't an absolute monster for doing what you did.

You reminded yourself of the premiere, and that it would be best if the two of you acted normal around one another. There wasn't going to be a lot of press, so the first impression was very important to you.