Chapter 187 -188

The news spread throughout Wizarding Britain and even at the Ministry, it was all talk. Of their next departure. Tom might have been upset if he hadn't let it slip on purpose. He didn't know exactly when but he had a feeling it would definitely be in the next few weeks. It was summer… And Harry's desire to travel was hitting him hard. He saw himself again in India, deciphering wizarding characters so old that he felt powerful when he understood them. He saw himself again in the Carpathians, defying the vampire clans by walking freely on their territories without asking for the slightest authorization.

Tom wanted Harry to discover all this, to know that he was as omnipotent as him. That nothing, nowhere could stop them because together, they were invincible. It was a fact, the demon would not allow anything to happen to its prey. Nothing would stop them. Not even Death if she wanted to meet them. Maybe it would even be an interesting conversation with this entity he feared less and less.

Rodolphus knocked before entering the meeting room even though he knew Harry was at Hogwarts. His doggies had become cautious in certain circumstances, amusing him to no end. Tom grabbed the sheaf of parchment he handed him and read that it was a bill, one of the last he wanted to sign.

— Milord... Will you come back?

—Of course I will. But I will no longer be chained to this country.

— …I am sorry that we have become a burden to you. You always wanted to lift us to the top and... I can't say that you gave up. It's simply that another life awaits you.

Tom found himself surprised by this unexpected little speech. Another life had begun upon his rebirth, more simply. He was just going to carefully take the reins instead of continuing a mission that someone else had wanted completed. Because Tom felt most detached from who he had been. He always understood himself, obviously. But this rage, this hatred which had animated him at the time. Everything had disappeared in the arms of his food. Harry was the center of his world and as much as he had resented the youngest, more than ever now, that was all he wanted.

“Don’t apologize, Rodolphus. I think it's for the best. I'll be crazy without him and everything I did there wouldn't be. Fate played a strange trick on me but this trick was the best ever.

— I like you to be happy, Milord. I will take care of our country for you. You will be proud of us.

Tom didn't point out that he would have no reason to feel this emotion for them. When they came back, they would barely remember their names.

And alone again, Tom prepared their trip, with a smile on his face.

188

Harry didn't know if it was sadism or just common sense on the part of his incubus to put his OWLS on him. He found himself doing his written exams at Hogwarts, like any other student, scrutinized by the examiners who seemed to find his presence in these places completely inappropriate. For practice, she took her place at the Ministry, once the judges had finished at the castle.

Quite honestly, Harry wasn't afraid of having failed, he knew that he had learned well from his teachers, even in potions. Not that Severus would be proud of him but Harry didn't need the man to be proud. He finished on Defense Against the Dark Arts under the nose of his demon who was observing his every move as if to destabilize him. While this was the last time this exam would take place. In the new school year, the subject would simply be called Defense. A decision that was clearly seen by everyone.

— Happy, Monseigneur?

Since they were in public, Harry had to perform. He looked embarrassed and angry at the same time, clutching his wand to himself as if he feared it would be taken away. Because Tom always pretended to disarm him every time. The serpentine face of his demon was distorted into a smile that often struck fear into those who saw it. Harry raised his chin in challenge.

- Instead. My husband is not as inept as some would think.

— I can even hold a duel against you!

Everyone present held their breath. As if Harry had just offered to save them. Of course, Tom sneered and disarmed him with a simple wave of his hand. Harry tried to catch his wand and missed.

—When you know how to do magic without a wand, I'll let you try this madness.

—...I could never have won, right?

A tall redhead seemed to want to intervene. Harry briefly remembered that it was his best 'friend's' father and forgot it just as quickly. Tom approached him and grabbed him by the chin, Harry squeezed his husband's wrist.

—If I had been completely crazy, you could have won. Too bad, you gave me back my sanity. Dumbledore must be turning in his grave... Ah yes, he doesn't have one.

Harry bit his lip to keep from laughing. Tom kissed him in front of their audience and Harry had to stop himself from melting against him. He pulled back abruptly after the kiss and turned his head away. Tom stroked her cheek with the back of his hand.

— That's always been the old fool's problem. By always wanting to get his hands dirty by proxy, he gave me the world. I'm kind of not destroying it, aren't you, darling?

— …Yes, Monseigneur, you are generous.

—Good, now let's go back so I can punish you for daring to speak to me in that tone.

Harry obviously didn't complain about his very good punishment.