three | into the deadly maze

"This place is probably crawling with monsters," Nyssa mumbled.

She and Mikey sat on a bench in Central Park eating sandwiches. She was tired and her back hurt from sleeping on the ground most nights, but she was glad to have a lot of food options in New York.

In the last two weeks, Nyssa and Mikey had made it to New Jersey, before a trail of some sort led them back to New York... according to Mikey.

Nyssa tried to understand how Mikey could feel the god calling to him, but she didn't. She tried to recall things about the god, but most of it felt useless. She felt useless. The only time she was helpful was when a stray monster would creep up out of nowhere, and she'd come in to save the day.

"They don't attack as much during the day though," Mikey replied, then took a large bite of his sandwich.

"That did not stop the dracaenae last week."

Mikey tipped his head back and forth, "Yeah, you've got a point."

"Any tingles in your gut of where Pan may be?"

Mikey looked around, then nodded slowly.

"Do you know many stories of the Labyrinth?"

Nyssa laughed, "Plenty. It's a death trap, most that stumble in never come out. Why?"

She glanced over toward Mikey and did not like the look on his face.

"No, absolutely not. Are you out of your mind?"

"I can't explain it," he started, his sandwich forgotten. "But I just have this feeling that Pan is somewhere in the Labyrinth. It's impossible for him to have hidden away on land all these years, don't you think?"

Nyssa sighed and put her head in her hands, "Mikey, that is crazy. He is a god, for all we know he could be the tree beside us, or living in a small town posing as a really talented gardener. Going into the Labyrinth, if we were to even find an entrance, is extremely dangerous."

The look on his face told Nyssa that he knew exactly how dangerous it was, but he didn't care. She hated herself, but she nodded her head.

"Fine. If we can even find an entrance, I will follow you. But if you get me killed, I will haunt you. I will request Hades himself to let me roam this earth as long as you live, and I will haunt you."

Mikey laughed and nudged her shoulder, "You'll be the most stubborn ghost to ever roam this earth."

The following day, after a night spent camping in a hidden away spot in Central Park, the two found public bathrooms to freshen up, then hit the road.

"Entrances to the Labyrinth have a delta sign on them," Mikey explained. "I've never seen one, but I asked around a bit back at camp. The Labyrinth is constantly growing and changing, we could have passed by ten entrances without even realizing it."

"That's not incredibly helpful," Nyssa said. The two walked through the city, and Nyssa tried her best to ignore the glares and looks of shock from strangers.

Women wore long dresses and skirts, they covered up. At camp, all of the girls wore their camp t-shirts, pants and shorts, how they dressed didn't matter. Everyone wore what made them feel most comfortable, and what they could fight best in.

As she walked through New York City, Nyssa was dressed in long brown pants and a short sleeve button-up shirt. On her feet were sneakers, and her hair was a mess on top of her head. She wasn't typically out in public in this way, and though she knew people would look at her oddly, after a while it started to make her feel self conscious.