four | flames aplenty

Slowly, Mikey reached out his hand and pressed it against the Delta Symbol. The rocks began to shake, and water from the waterfall splashed onto the pair. When the entrance finally appeared, the two quickly stepped inside. Almost immediately after, it closed.

Nyssa lit a match and willed the flame to grow until it resembled a small ball. Carefully, she channeled the energy from the flame and transferred it to her hands. She dropped the match to the ground, then nodded toward Mikey.

"We're set on this for at least two hours."

Mikey's eyes were fixated on her hair, "I always forget your hair kinda glows."

"Just when I channel energy like this," she shrugged. "It's whatever."

Mikey began to unravel his yarn as the two descended down stone steps. They stayed quiet, unsure what awaited them at the bottom.

Suddenly, a storm of fire surged into Nyssa's vision. She stopped short and shook her head, trying to shake the vision from her mind. All she saw was flames, her face mingled within them, and then the vision faded. She continued, not bothering to tell Mikey.

Once they reached the bottom, they found themselves in a circular room. There were two doorways, not counting the one they entered from, and unlit torches along the wall. With a small wave of her hand, she sent little flames to each of the torches. The room lightened around them, and Nyssa felt a surge of strength.

"What now?"

Mikey walked around the room and peaked into both doorways. He shut his eyes and took a few deep breaths.

"This one," he pointed toward the left doorway. "This feels right."

"Are you sure?"

Nyssa had an arrow knocked in a second as she twirled to face the intruder–or, were Nyssa and Mikey technically the intruders? She ignored the thought.

"I'm not here to fight, young demigod and satyr."

Nyssa let her bow fall to her side, "Janus, the god of beginnings and ends, the god of doorways."

She bowed her head slightly, then looked back toward the two-faced god.

"So you know me! Yes, I am the god of something you are faced with right now–doorways. And the satyr believes the left doorway is correct. Peculiar..."

Mikey glared at the god, "Not peculiar at all. There is a strong sense of nature coming from that way, which can only mean Pan is down that path."

Janus shook their head, "What feels right to you, demigod?"

Nyssa shrugged, "Whatever feels right to Mikey, feels right to me."

"As you noted, I am also the god of beginnings and endings. Both doorways are the beginning of the end, the left for one of you, the right for the other."

"Isn't this fun?" The other face spoke up with a laugh.

"So one of us is doomed either way," Mikey said quietly.

"Why can't we just retrace our steps?" Nyssa questioned. "We head back up the steps, and see if there is another way to go. The labyrinth is ever changing, there is bound to be another path there now."

Janus tilted their head, "A very smart idea, but I'm afraid to tell you that is no longer possible."

They pointed toward the way the two had entered from, and noticed it had closed over. Nyssa groaned out of frustration.

"We haven't been in here an hour, and things have fallen to shit!"

"Such harsh language for a young lady," the quieter face stated.