CHAPTER 05

AUTHOR POV

Vikramaditya sat on his working desk and went through his office files one by one. His eyes were solely focused on the white papers and his mind read all the details given, ranging to every economics and business solutions he could think of at the moment.

His tongue clicked every time he came with a thought and noted down on the notepad beside. He rubbed his chin and blinked at a few intervals, concentrating on the words keenly to avoid any potential mistakes.

Amidst his passion for his work, he once again failed to note the time. He isn't aware the day has gone halfway through and his clock reads quarter past three.

"Vikram," His eyes for the first time in an hour raised to see his Mom standing by his study door. "Come in, Mom" he called her and noticed her walking his room with close steps. It seemed she was contemplating to say something and felt to hold back from him.

"Is there something you wanted to talk about?" He knew his mom seldom visited his study except to call him for meals or to announce a guest. If neither of those was the case, he could tell she was troubled and wanted to talk. And he could guess what she wanted to talk about.

Vikramaditya waited for his mom to initiate the conversation and took her to the nearby couch. He made her comfortable and took a seat beside hers. "What it is, Mom?" He gave a nudge and heard her sigh before she faced his direction.

"Do you like someone, Vikram?" His initial reaction was confusion and was taken aback by her sudden question. "Why would you—"

"Cause it seems like that. You rejecting girls on baseless reasons only point out that you like someone else." The impatience in her tone spoke volumes for him and he couldn't deny he had pulled his family to the falling edge with matters concerning his marriage.

"Please be honest, Son. Do you like someone?" Meera urged him for an answer and after what her Father-in-law confessed a few days back, she couldn't think otherwise than her son was interested in Agnira. She wouldn't oppose him and would happily welcome the girl into their family.

"Mom, I'm not and it's just I don't see a future with the girls I've met."

"You can't decide that just with a single meeting, Vikram and you haven't bothered to contact those girls again." He couldn't deny his Mom and when times his family arranged blind dates for him, he would simply attend those and convey his opinion on the very same day.

He isn't the man to stall the girls he had met and give them hope when he isn't sure what his heart truly desires.

"Do you have a reason why you don't see a future with them?" His mom went in his way to get an answer and she was sure there had to be something stopping her son from saying yes to the girls or anything she might missed in searching a bride for him.

"There isn't a reason," His heart twisted at something and he couldn't point to the feeling, it felt ambiguous. He isn't sure why he wouldn't see a future with anyone and has already rejected countless alliances. It's inexplicable why he rejected them.

"Will you say 'No' again if we bring one?" Vikramaditya closed his eyes upon her words, he felt the same itch on his throat whenever he got to hear them bring another woman to meet. The last time he met someone was six months ago, and though the person he met was sweet, he rejected her.

The feeling was unknown and he couldn't name the emotion he felt in his gut.

"Can we just not talk about this? I need some time, Mom" The woman sighed and stood up as she didn't expect the outcome of their conversation to be fruitless. If anything she noticed, Vikramaditya had only raised her doubts.