Chapter 03

The studio was well lit and each person was focused on their assigned task, ensuring the news programme aired without any hitches. The ratings that night were high and they all knew it was due to the case of Kim Somi.

The news anchor for that night, a female named Won Ha-Jin, finished her report on a murder case that had been closed with the culprit sentenced to life imprisonment. With an inaudible exhale, she moved on to the next report the whole country was waiting for.

She focused on the camera and read the news off the prompter. Years of service and practice kept her voice steady and her tone objective. However, deep inside she was worried like so many others who couldn't understand how a solo artist that big could go missing.

"The Gangnam Police has officially confirmed that a missing report was filed for solo artist, Kim Somi, yesterday at around 8:45PM. According to them, the report was filed by Somi's manager, Pyo Ji-Eun, on behalf of the artist's label; Blue Ocean Entertainment...A team made up of detectives and investigators from the various stations across Seoul has been created to look into the case and ensure that Somi is found and brought back safe and sound.

"We are yet to hear from Blue Ocean Entertainment and all efforts to reach them have been futile. We have received information about a number of celebrities who will be called to give information as to the last time they saw the missing artist but it is yet to be confirmed. Once there are concrete details, we will be the first to let you know.

"We ask everyone to be on the lookout and if she is sighted, please report to the nearest station so the case can be brought to a close as soon as possible. That'll be all, for now."

♫♫♫

The official statement came an hour after the news aired and the website of Blue Ocean Entertainment saw traffic like never before.

"Hello everyone," It read. "This is Blue Ocean Entertainment and we're bringing you information on the missing person case that has been opened for our star, Kim Somi. Somi was last seen by her manager at about 9:15 on Saturday night at the Jamsil Stadium where the Mnet Asian Music Awards (MAMA) was held.

"Following the successful completion of her performance, she informed her manager she was going to the restroom to take a break before the Artist of the Year nominations began. She never came back and like everyone else, we were surprised MAMAMOO's Hwasa accepted the award on her behalf.

"The CCTV footage of the stadium has been thoroughly examined and we have footage of Somi slipping out without anyone noticing. Unfortunately, there's no more footage with her in it after that. We know that as a company, we slipped in our promise to protect our artists and we shall take the necessary steps to deal with that slip once Somi has been found.

"As of now, a list of artists who spoke to Somi that night has been drawn up and in the coming days, they shall be interviewed one after the other by the investigative team put up. We ask for your co-operation with the case and we promise to do everything possible to ensure Somi is found and brought back safely.

"All information on the case will be published across our social media platforms. We plead with the public for information in the case of Somi being sighted. Thank you."

It was signed by the CEO, Moon Shin, on behalf of the company.

The public's opinion was divided. A lot of people called the company out for being irresponsible enough to miss Somi leaving on our own and there were those who wondered why Somi felt the need to slip out of such an important award show in the first place.

"She's probably tired of it all." A tweet read. "You think it's easy being a star? I've said it time and time again that Somi has been overworked since her collaboration with BTS. She probably left to get some space for herself. I just hope that's the case. If anything happens to Somi, the agency is dead meat, that's for sure."