Mother of a Dragon

Runaesthera Verrin der Artemia was a woman of one hundred and twelve years. Among her race, she was still a child, but she had lived four times the life of her husband, and more than twenty times that of her beloved daughter. In that time, she had learned much, and yet, sometimes she simply didn't know what to do.

Eri was a very tender and obedient child, when she wanted to be, that is, with her father. With her, Eri always sought a way to disobey. She didn't contradict or ignore her, but if she was forbidden to jump from a tree, she would jump from a battlement. If she was asked to wear her emerald pendant, she would tie it to her hand instead of her neck. Runa had simple, sturdy clothes made for her to play and travel in, but Eri would wear her prettiest dresses to run through the forest or play with the animals. Frey disciplined her well, so why couldn't she?

The way back from the valley had been a constant struggle. The girl had put on her best dress and laid down on a bale of hay in the supply cart. She had dusted herself off perfectly afterward, but what need was there to get it dirty in the first place? Besides, she had slept in an unladylike position, and her skirt had ridden up to her belly. She needed to learn to maintain modesty like a princess, but it was difficult when she ended up almost upside down, nearly revealing the lining of her dress. In three days of travel, Runa had reprimanded her seven times for the same thing. It wasn't that she was disobedient, she always ended up doing things right, but she was careless and willful.

During the long journeys, like the one they made from Artemia to Unermia, she taught her how to behave in court, how to use cutlery, and sometimes, the basics of magic. Years would pass before Eri could cast even the simplest spell. Runa herself was thirty when she made her first sparks, and she hadn't been fit to fight until she was seventy. But Eri enjoyed the lessons, saying she could feel the magic. Now, dragons were usually immune... Maybe Eri wouldn't be able to use magic. It would be a matter of time to find out.

That morning, they had finally arrived in Unermia with the pegasus. They had made a gem like Eri's emerald to hide its wings, and Frey had ridden it the whole way to get it used to him. He was a child with his new toy, and it was adorable. It was so rare to see him behave like that, relaxed and happy. Runa hoped that, after the war, that would be his natural state. As always, she had wanted to share it with Eri, but there was no way she was going to let her take it flying. That girl was already too motivated, and who knew how high she would have to fall to finally get hurt. Frey needed to think more about her safety.

They would have so little time together. She wasn't going to let it end a second sooner.

King Finuaster received them with Prince Conerfin in the war room. It was wonderful to be in that cool city after such a hot journey. But what awaited them was an afternoon of making plans for the second part of the plan. They had to lure a dragon. The first step was to locate it.

"Welcome all, brother. I see you have new scars for your collection." Conerfin looked pleased and yet somewhat disappointed, perhaps envious of his brother. "We have made the necessary preparations. Just below the ledge, the lake is deep enough for an average dragon to be submerged. The weight of the water will be lessened, but we have prepared magic shackles. The moment it falls, they will grab its neck. Normally they should be able to break them, but the weight of the waterfall will give us time to immobilize it completely. The Unermia dragon-slaying team has volunteered for this. They are exceptional men, you will see. I have selected them from among those who have at least one kill in their record. The rookies will watch and learn, with your majesties' permission."

"Of course, Prince Conerfin. We thank you for all the help you have given us so far and that which you offer us. Any secrets the dragon may reveal will be shared with Unermia, as the brother kingdoms that we are." Runa recited these speeches after decades of practice with her father in diplomacy. Perhaps it would have been ideal for Eri to listen... but no, better for her to play with her friend. They had centuries for that teaching, they did.

"I am glad to hear that, Princess Runaesthera. I am concerned that so much depends on your little daughter. Only she can communicate with dragons, and she will have to be put in danger. I assume you have already made up your minds in this regard."

"Indeed, my husband and I have planned to do this. Eri already knows what she must do. We will protect her, and we are counting on your dragon slayers for the same purpose once the target is immobilized." She looked at Frey. He was very quiet in that meeting. It was true that when it came to royalty, he preferred to leave the negotiations to her, but today in particular...

"Now we must move on to the second phase, locating the dragon we will try to capture."

"It shouldn't be a problem. The Unermia area receives few attacks, especially the capital due to the waterfall, but sighting reports indicate that we can expect to find dragons in these three areas." The prince pointed to three mountainous areas on the map, all somewhat far from the city. "The last sighting was six months ago right here. We believe the creature may have a lair there. However, the descriptions in all three areas match closely enough that we believe it is the same dragon. We cannot understand why it moves every so often without attacking settlements."

Dragons behaved like this. They could be seen flying over large areas as if they were watching them, but in most cases, years could pass without them attacking towns or cities, until suddenly it happened.

"The biggest problem," added the king, "is that we cannot predict a dragon's behavior. If we provoke it, it could flee or attack a different city. It could try to swim across the waterfall after falling, and if we don't catch it, it could attack this city."

"In that case, Your Majesty, my husband will do what he does best. The plan is important, but the population is the reason for all our efforts."

"Your husband is so reliable, Nana Runa. I am glad, I am glad. Anyway, that is all I wanted to hear. Tomorrow we will send my son's scouts to see what they can find of the dragon. I am tired, I leave you to decide the details."

"If it doesn't bother Prince Conerfin, I would like to continue later. The journey has been long, and I would like to put my daughter to bed myself." Runa knew the kind of reaction the nobles had to her. She had no maids or nannies, but what did any noble know about enjoying a motherhood that had been denied her until now?

"Well, Your Majesty, I confess that I myself am eager for Prince Fray to show us his new steed."
Runa left the palace alone. Frey would behave like a child showing off his toys for a while longer. She headed to her own stable. The coachman would be taking care of Eri and her mare. That man deserved a raise.

Upon arriving at the stables, she saw Eri telling little Koro about the trip, who didn't believe a word of it. Of course, in Eri's version, the manticore was much bigger and had two tails, and there were fairies and a unicorn involved. What an imagination. She decided to take advantage of the situation and see her mare to give Eri some more time. When she saw her, she noticed something strange...

"Coachman, this... sir..."

"Pankoro, Your Majesty, please, you don't need to be so formal with me. I am your humble servant."
A raise, definitely.

"Excuse me, my mare has something strange. She's restless, and well, around her muzzle, and also..."

"Oh yes, I was going to inform you. It seems that your mare is pregnant. If the father is any of the horses, it would be wonderful. The foal will be of very good blood."

"But..." Runa hadn't seen the other horses approach her in a while, maybe that night at the spring, when she escaped, but... she was alone. "Well, it's strange, but it's a happy moment."
She stroked her mare and gave her some sugar. They exchanged a knowing look that made the half-elf smile.