The war of the Roses

Mom was really mad at that lady. Eri didn't think she was a bad person, she was pretty, with long blonde hair in a ponytail and eyes that looked like her emerald necklace. She had a strange sword on her belt. The other lady looked very angry too. Eri wondered if she had ruined a dress too or had gotten lost for a whole afternoon in the city.

"So out of all the people in the world that Artemia could send to Pellegrin, they send their little princess," the blonde woman said with one hand on her hip, she looked at Mom like Bestenar sometimes looked at Eri.

"Don't play dumb," Mom replied in her scolding voice. "You're here because you knew we were coming, you were hoping..."

"Hoping for Jimmer Runaesthera. Don't you think I was really looking forward to seeing you again?"

"Please, you two." Dad stepped forward to come between them, his voice was the one he used to give orders to the fool, but he looked at Mom like when she was angry with him. "We haven't seen each other in almost seven years, and this is the first thing you do?"

"Frey, I'm glad to see you," the blonde woman pretended to approach, but in the end she didn't. "Don't worry, we're not going to fight, that's how we greet each other. We were very good friends, the three of us, weren't we? When we killed dragons with the order."

"Wooow," Eri couldn't contain her exclamation of amazement and ran towards the disheveled woman. "Are you also as cool as my dad? Do you kill bad dragons?"

"Eri, come here," Mom sounded serious, it was best to obey, although it seemed to her that she was trying to be cordial, like when she took her to meet nobles at the castle. "Mrs. Valderant was our companion in the order until she resigned about seven years ago. She and your dad had the same master."

Eri, who had already returned to Mom, opened her round eyes in amazement. "Really? Why did she stop killing dragons? How many could she kill?" Eri knew that Dad and the dragonslayers only killed bad dragons, but she realized that her teacher, who was listening at a nearby table, didn't like dragonslayers.
The woman laughed a little and made that strange face that many people made when they met her, as if they were holding in a gas and it made them laugh a lot.

"Oh, by the Goddess, I'd already heard about you, little one." She crouched down to pinch her cheek, so she was one of those, how annoying. "You're much prettier than I imagined. I killed three evil dragons, I think your mom hasn't killed any yet according to the rumors in the taverns."

"You know that dragons are immune to magic," Mom said trying not to be rude, but she wasn't doing well. "Besides, I helped you kill two of those dragons."

"Still, the order doesn't keep track of assistance, how unfortunate."

"You'll be..."

Dad intervened again.

"Eri, it's time for you to go to sleep, I'll take you myself." He turned to the table. "Rest up, Lady Meracina. Runa, will you join us?"

Mom looked at Mrs. Valderant in the eyes.

"No, go ahead, I'll talk to the captain about the trip itinerary."

Dad took Eri by the hand and took her to the upstairs floor of the inn, it seemed to her that it was a little early to sleep, but she was already tired from so much flying. So she didn't complain.

While Dad was helping her wash and put on her nightgown, Eri was curious.

"Daddy, why are Mommy and Mrs. Valderant angry?"

"Well, look Eri... the truth is, I don't know. They used to be companions, maybe not the best friends, but when your mom joined the order of dragonslayers, within a few months they ended up hating each other. Apparently Val says that Runa did something terrible to her but neither of them wanted to tell me what it was. Jimmer told me it was my fault but he never explained it to me, maybe Runa offended her and I should have taken her side, but anyway, for men, women are a mystery," as he spoke, he was already tucking the little dragon girl in.