Chapter 1

Harper wasn't always that wise and mature. As a teenager this girl with beautiful green eyes was going through some really tough times. By 18, she was all about challenging the rules, and drugs became her go-to escape. Her friends back then? Well she was surrounded by questionable influences. Her dad, David, felt totally helpless watching his little girl get lost in all this mess.

You see, Harper started acting like this after her mom died of cancer way too soon. She was only 15, and it was like losing her anchor. They had special mother-daughter bound that was cruelly ruined. Without her mom to guide her, Harper was just floating in her grief, not knowing how to deal with it.

David was in the same boat, drowning in sadness after losing his wife. That first year without her, he was like a zombie, barely noticing the world around him, let alone Harper's growing problems. His dad's radar, which used to be so on point, was totally knocked out by his own heartache, and Harper's wild ways just got worse.

But then, something at school snapped David out of it. Harper's anger was out of control, causing all sorts of trouble. When David found out, it hit him like a ton of bricks. It wasn't just the anger. Harper was messing with drugs, too. That shock made him realize it was time to step up, reconnect with his daughter, and help her find her way back.

However, as you may guess, it's always easier said than done.

He sent her to rehab in attempt to free her body from this addiction but the problem wasn't just physical it was way deeper, it was this all-consuming abyss left in her heart after the death of her dearest person.

----

It was the last day of the summer, when he entered the church, where his childhood friend Christopher was a parishioner.

"I don't know what to do, I feel like I'm loosing her, my sweet girl. I'm so hopeless,"  tears streaming down as they stood in the quiet after the service.

"Don't lose your hope, my friend. The devil is trying to take your daughter, but do you know where he has no power?" His icy blue eyes pierced through his friend, waiting for an answer.

"In the church?" he asked with a flicker of uncertainty in his voice.

"Exactly!" Christopher exclaimed, "Do you know, that my dearest daughter Ava is helping in the Church almost all of her free from studying time?"

"Yeah, she's a real angel. I wish my Harper could find that kind of path." he sighed. The thing was that David wasn't a strong believer, but in that moment, he'd have done anything to help his child.

"I'm glad that you said that and that you understand the importance of our faith." The good parishioner wrapped his arm around his friend shoulder, " As a true Christian, but more over, your real friend, I can't let you face this alone," he said, a reassuring smile spreading across his face. David looked at his friend with a hope, "I know what we should do." he added, with a smirk playing in his eye, that was a prelude to a plan that seemed to brew from a place of deep conviction. "Listen, David, I've seen many lost souls find their way back in the embrace of the church. It's not just about faith, it's about community, support, and finding a purpose."

David nodded, the seeds of hope tentatively taking root. "But how do we get Harper involved? Sh's so... distant from all this."

"That's where my Ava comes in. She's got a way with people, a real knack for bringing them into the fold. What if we introduce Harper to the youth group? They do all sorts of activities, not just prayer meetings. Community work, music, art—you name it. It could be a new circle for her, a new start."

"She used to like art so much. She and her mother always drew together," David's eyes lit up for the first time in months, "Do you think Ava would do that? For us?"