Chapter 7

"So, where am I going to sleep?" Ava inquired, glancing around the room curiously.

"Well, we have a guest room, but it won't be a true sleepover if you stay there," Harper explained.

"Okay, where should I be to make it real, then?" The inexperienced girl asked.

"It's only for you to decide, but I'd say join me here. We could chat a bit before drifting off," the green-eyed girl suggested with a nervous smile, her heart fluttering for unknown reason .

"You mean sleeping here with you on the same bed?"

"If it's okay with you, but if you don't feel comfortable, you can still use the guest room."

"But you said it wouldn't be a real sleepover, and I want to experience it fully. Who knows, maybe it's my only opportunity," the girl said, uncertainty in her voice. She had never slept with someone in the same bed, and it scared her—especially considering the history of their uneasy relationship. Harper was the last person she would've assumed to spend a sleepover with. But on the other hand, she desperately wanted this experience, like any normal kid.

"We could make it a regular thing if you enjoy it," her sleepover tutor proposed eagerly.

"It's not about enjoyment, it's my dad. Honestly, I'm shocked he even agreed this time," Ava confessed, nervously picking at her nails, which Harper noticed.

Gently, she took her hand, preventing the destructive action, and squeezed it reassuringly. "Perhaps my dad could sway him, they seem to be buddies now."

"It would be a nice twist in the story," the blond girl smiled shyly. "But look at us—we've come a long way. A few weeks ago, we hated everything about each other, and now we're planning to sleep in the same bed. At this rate, in the next two days, I'll be waiting for an invitation to the Prom from you." They both laughed, although Harper felt something strange at the mere thought of going to the Prom with this girl.

Playing along, she said, "Only if you agree to marry me afterward."

"Okay, deal," Ava replied through laughter, "Can I use your bathroom now?"

"Sure, just a moment—I'll grab some fresh clothes and towels for you." 

____

Ava went out from the bathroom, already wearing pyjama shorts and shirt.  When she joined the other girl in her bad Harper said, "You smell just like me."

The blond girl grinned. "Obviously, since I used your stuff. It's oddly comforting."

"I'm glad you like it." Harper smiled softly, her eyes twinkling with genuine warmth.

They were laying face to face, looking each other in the eyes, feeling a sense of unusual closeness.

"What do people chat about at sleepovers?" An inexperienced girl wondered, her voice filled with curiosity and eagerness to embrace this new experience.

The green-eyed smiled, "Well, for starters... got a crush on anyone?" She asked, feeling her  anxiety started getting the better of her, while her fingers nervously playing with the edge of the blanket.

"Like, romantically?" Harper nodded, trying to appear casual but her heart started racing, "No, not really." Ava said honestly with sincere expression, leaving the girl in front of her with a conflicted feelings of relief and disappointment.

"How about Mason? You two have become closer lately." 

The blue-eyed shrugged, "He's a good guy, good friend, but that's it."