Chapter 15

Ava and Harper hurried up the stone steps of the old church, their footsteps echoing in the quiet evening. The sun was setting, casting a warm, golden glow over the stained glass windows. The leader of the group, felt a knot of anxiety tighten in her stomach. They were late, and she knew the group would already be gathered, waiting for her.

As they pushed open the heavy wooden doors, the familiar scent of polished wood and candle wax greeted them. The murmurs of conversation ceased abruptly, and all eyes turned towards them. Ava's cheeks flushed with embarrassment, recalling the reason of why they were late. She took a deep breath and stepped forward, her voice steady despite her nerves.

"Sorry we're late, everyone," she said, offering a sheepish smile.

Harper walked over and sat down in her seat while Ava walked to the centre of the group. They quickly exchanged glances, and the owner of emerald eyes playfully winked at the leader of the group.

"Today, we're going to do art." The blue eyed girl said and quickly began handing out the necessary supplies: sketchbooks, pencils, and paints. As she moved around the room, distributing the materials with practiced ease, she was intensely observed by the green eyes.

When it was Harper's turn and Ava handed her the supplies, she felt her hand being grabbed gently. She looked into the green eyes with a silent plea to let her go. But the other girl only smirked playfully, squeezing her hand, making the blue-eyed nervous. In a few tensed moments she let her go. 

With everyone settled and engrossed in their projects, the leader finally took a seat at her desk. She rested her chin in her hand, her thoughts drifting. Harper, seated nearby, occasionally glanced at her girl. She noticed the way Ava's expression would soften, an elusive smile flickering across her face from time to time. And she knew too well that it was she who was the cause of it. When their eyes met, both girls couldn't help but grinned.

As the meeting drew to a close, Ava stood and began strolling through the aisles, admiring the group's drawings. She lingered near her favorite table, captivated by a flower Harper had drawn. The drawing was incredibly realistic, though the colors were unusual, predominantly cool blue tones. Placing a hand on artist's shoulder, she remarked, "This is beautiful, but why these colors?"

"I was inspired by your eyes," The green-eyed girl whispered, handing the drawing to the leader. "This is for you." Flattered, Ava's eyes locked with Harper's, the latter leaned in and whispered, "I want to give you real flowers."

"Real flowers will wither, and I'll have to throw them away, but this one will stay with me forever," she said, admiring the artwork.

"So you like it?" The girl who drew the picture asked excitedly.

As the girl was about to answer, their moment was interrupted by a rough male voice, "Ava, can I talk to you?" It was Billie, who had already got up from his seat and was heading towards the girls.

Ava pursed her lips apologetically and removed her hand from Harper's shoulder, "Sure." She spoke with a hint of irritation, but quickly brushed it off and smiled, though it never quite reached her eyes, "Give me a minute." She asked and addressed the group. "Great job, everyone. I hope you all enjoyed the art session. Let's clean up and head home."

As the group began to clean up, Ava followed Billie to a quiet corner of the room. She could feel Harper's eyes on her, but she pushed the thought aside, focusing on the conversation ahead. Billie's expression was serious, his usual easygoing demeanor replaced by a look of determination.

"I asked your father to let you go on a date with me." He began to speak in an excited voice.

At this point, Harper couldn't stand it any longer and walked up to them, with a slight movement throwing her arm over Ava's shoulders, "So, what did he say to you that's got you standing here grinning like an idiot? " She asked sarcastically.