Chapter 2

Harper stood outside the church, the grand old building casting a long shadow over her. She hesitated, her hand hovering near the worn brass handle of the heavy wooden door. The thought of spending her afternoon with the church group made her stomach twist. She could almost hear the quiet hum of the class inside, the peaceful scratching of brushes on canvas, and it felt so out of place with the storm of emotions inside her.

She glanced back over her shoulder, considering just walking away, but the image of her father's stern face flashed in her mind. She knew she had no real choice. With a deep breath that did little to steady her nerves, her hand reached for the door handle. Pushing the door open, she stepped inside.

"Today's class is not just about painting, it's a journey through history and theology, learning about the saints and events depicted, and the symbolism behind the colors and gestures used. It's a quiet, contemplative space where the act of painting becomes a form of prayer and reflection." Ava, as a leader of the group, was detailing the meaning of today's activity for the church group, while Harper made a disruptive entrance, arriving a full thirty minutes behind schedule.

Her arrival marked by the loud creak of the door and a flippant, "I'm late, but I'm not sorry." She declared, scanning the room and noting the focused faces of her peers, each absorbed in their work. Not waiting for a response before she slumped into the last empty seat.

Ava, shot the late girl a disapproving look. "Try to catch up without disturbing others, please," she said, her voice tight with irritation.

Harper rolled her eyes and picked up a brush, but instead of painting, she began tapping it against the side of the table, each tap a deliberate poke at Ava's patience.

"Could you not?" The annoyed girl hissed, coming over to her irritant's side.

"What? I'm just getting the feel of it," Green-eyed replied, her voice dripping with feigned innocence.

The class continued, and the troublemaker's antics didn't stop. She hummed off-key, asked pointless questions, and even 'accidentally' dropped her paintbrush, causing a few students to jump.

As the session ended, the leader of the group approached her tormentor's easel with a deep breath, bracing herself. What she saw on the Harper's canvas made her blood boil. The image captured a naked woman who bore an uncanny resemblance to Ava, with her blonde hair, signature icy blue eyes, and identical facial features. But it was not even the nudity that plunged her fury, but a more piquant detail in the drawing - the woman was pictured with her hand between her legs and with that expression on her face that left no doubt what exactly she was doing.

"And what is this?" She exclaimed with indignation.

"It's your portrait obviously. Don't you like it?" The nasty artist smirked.

"This is what you've been doing?" Depicted in the dubious portrait girl rhetorically asked with a mix of disbelief and anger in her voice. "Everyone here at least are trying to learn and respect the tradition, and you... you make a joke out of it?"

Harper chuckled. "Lighten up, Ava-boo. I'm just giving you the instruction of what you should do to relax, instead of being such a bitch all the time. Because it's obvious that no one else will help you with this."

Ava's hands clenched into fists. "You're impossible! You have no consideration for anyone but yourself. You're... you're disgusting!" She took a step closer, her voice low but fierce. "You know what, Harper? I wish you hadn't come. Your presence here is as unwelcome as your so-called 'art'."

Her offender just shrugged and stood up with an evil grin, "I told you - too tense." With that, she stepped out, leaving behind a stunned silence and a room full of people wondering what had just unfolded.