Chapter 17

Harper pulled up to Ava's house, her heart pounding with excitement. She was waiting for this date all day tomorrow, and now the moment had finally arrived. She took a deep breath, smoothing down her attire and checking her reflection in the rearview mirror. Everything had to be perfect.

As she walked up to the front door, she reminded herself they should to be careful, but at the same time she had to make this day special for her girlfriend.

The door opened, and Christopher stood there, his stern expression softening slightly when he saw his daughter friend. "Good afternoon, Harper," he said, his voice gruff but polite. "Ava's just finishing up. She'll be down in a moment."

"Good afternoon, sir," Harper replied, flashing her most charming smile. "Thank you for letting Ava come with me to the aquarium. We have a lot of researches to do for our project."

The older man nodded, his eyes narrowing slightly. "Just make sure you two stay focused. No distractions."

"Of course," The green-eye girl said, her smile never wavering. "I wanted to ask, would it be okay if, after we visit the aquarium, we continue to work on the project at my house? That way, we  can jump right into it while everything's still fresh in our minds."

Christopher pressed his fingers to his lower lip, folding it thoughtfully between his thumb and index finger, as if he was scheming something. "That wasn't what I'd planned for today," he pronounced, looking at his daughter's friend as though thoughts were still spinning in his head, forming the final verdict. "But if it's important for school...tell your father to call me when you both get to your place."

"Thank you sir, you are so generous." The girl said calmly, trying to maintain a falsely respectful attitude.

Just then, Christopher's daughter appeared at the top of the stairs, her eyes lighting up when she saw the green-eyed girl. She descended quickly, her chest filled with butterflies . "Hi, Harper," she said, her voice soft and sweet. The blond girl wanted to run and throw herself into the arms of her girlfriend, but of course she restrained her impulse.

"Hi, Avie," The girl in front of her replied, her eyes twinkling with affection. "Ready to go?"

She  nodded, glancing nervously at her father, he gave a curt nod. "Be safe."

As they walked to the car, Harper couldn't resist reaching out to gently murmured in Ava's ear. "You look beautiful," her voice filled with admiration.

Her girlfriend blushed, her heart fluttering. "Thank you. You look amazing too."

They got into the car, and as soon as they were out of sight of the house, the girl behind the wheel let out a sigh of relief. "Finally, just the two of us," she said, taking her passenger's hand and intertwined their fingers.

Ava smiled, her shyness melting away in the presence of Harper's bold affection. "I can't wait to start our date. Thank you for planning this."

The green-eyed girl gave a small kiss to her girlfriend's hand, giving it a reassuring squeeze after. "Everything for you, my darling."

After arriving at the underground parking, she tucked the car away in the most secluded corner, where they were almost completely out of sight.

The driving girl reached into the back seat and pulled out a bouquet of flowers, "This is for my lady," she said smirking, "I know you won't be able to take them home, as it might look suspicious, but I just couldn't help myself. It's our first date, after all!"

For a fleeting moment, Ava was struck by how wonderful it felt to receive flowers from someone she had feelings for. It was a stark contrast to the hollow emptiness she felt when Billie had given her the same gift just yesterday. A crushing sense of guilt that she couldn't properly reciprocate his feelings. But today, with Harper's present in her hands, she felt nothing but pure happiness.