Chapter 20

"With so many new warriors in the Clan," Cherrytail meowed, "maybe we ought to think about expanding the territory."

The sun was up, pouring golden light into the gorge, but Poppystar's den still lay in shadow when her deputy arrived, dipping his head politely as he padded in.

"That's a good point," Poppystar mused, waving her tail to invite Cherrytail to sit beside her.

"I suggest sending out two patrols, one on either side of the gorge," the tortoiseshell and white tom went on. "They can investigate the area just outside our borders, and see if there are any good hunting grounds or moss places that we should include."

"That could work," she agreed. "And they ought to look for possible dangers as well. We don't want to enclose territory that we can't defend."

Cherrytail gave her a brisk nod. "I'll go and set up the patrols, then. I'll get Haze and Cory to lead them."

"Just a moment." Poppystar stopped her deputy as he was rising to his paws. "There were problems the other day when you assigned Haze and Cory to lead hunting patrols. The other cats aren't used to them yet."

"Then they'll have to get used to them," Cherrytail snapped. "Haze and the others are full warriors of Skyclan now."

Poppystar sighed. "True, but it's not as easy as that. You can't control how cats feel. Besides, is it a good idea to let newcomers lead these patrols, instead of cats who are more familiar with the territory?"

"They've all taken part in border patrols often enough," Cherrytail pointed out with a flick of his tail.

"All the same," Poppystar mewed firmly, "I don't think it's a good idea to single out the newcomers for special duties instead of cats who have grown up in the Clan. Not all the time. It's going to cause problems."

Cherrytail flexed his claws in annoyance, while Poppystar tried to ignore the rising tension between herself and her deputy. What's happening to us? Why is Cherrytail always trying to challenge me?

"The way I see it is—" Cherrytail began, his voice rising irritably.

He broke off as a shadow fell across the mouth of the den and Cobaltclaw poked his head inside. "Poppystar, may I have a word with you?"

"We're busy," Cherrytail meowed. "Come back later."

Already ruffled by their argument, Poppystar was furious that her deputy was answering for her. "No, Cobaltclaw, it's fine," she replied, keeping her voice steady. "Cherrytail and I were just finishing. Haze and Clovertail will lead the patrols," she added to her deputy, with a wave of her tail to dismiss him.

"Fine." Cherrytail gave his leader an icy glare and stalked out of the den.

Cobaltclaw watched him go. "I'm sorry if I interrupted something..."

"Don't worry about it," Poppystar mewed. And now I suppose Cobaltclaw is going to complain about Frecklepaw helping Echosong again. If it's not one thing it's another. "I'll have another word with Echosong—"

"No, it's not that," Cobaltclaw responded. "I wanted to talk to you about something else. Have you noticed that Shrewtooth hasn't been herself recently?"

Poppystar blinked in surprise. She hadn't thought much at all about the young black she-cat. Apart from her excessive nervousness, she was quiet and she didn't cause trouble, which made her easy to overlook when other cats were making more noise.

"I'm worried that she's feeling left out," Cobaltclaw went on. "She's always been shy, but lately she hardly says anything. She never said a word at the last Gathering, and she never volunteers for patrols anymore. It's as if she thinks that no cat will want to hunt with her."