nightmares

ALBERTO'S POV

TW: abuse, drinking addictions, and blood !! 

I am in a familiar place. I look around to examine where I am. I see stone walls surrounding me and a collection of human items. I see a little light upstairs, so I stride up the stairs.

I see a fire, and a man. The man has black, slicked back hair and rough, olive skin. He turns his head to look at me, and I take three steps back. There is something about that man that terrifies me.

I feel my hands shake as I look into his sharp, brown eyes. I am familiar with this man, but never will it be in a good way.

That man is my father, Bruno Scorfano. I shouldn't even call that man my father.

"What do you want, you waste?" he snaps. I don't say anything, I just stand there, frozen, terrified. "Well?" he demands. "Don't just stand there, you useless monster."

Those words hurt me, like I just got shot by a harpoon. I clench my fists in anger and tears fall from my eyes in pain.

"What, so you're just gonna cry like a baby?"

I just wanna scream. I feel more rage than you can imagine. I hate this. I hate being like this. I hate Bruno. I wanna leave, but I won't let myself.

I notice Bruno has a bottle in his hand. Wait.. I know what's going on now. I remember this day. I remember who I am, how old I am, and what the date is. I normally never know the date, but I know today is the day that I am officially a teenager. It is my 13th birthday.

The man squeezes the empty bottle in his hand and I hear a snarl come from him. I can't even tell if he's sober or not, which terrifies me. He is hardly ever sober. I wish he was sober. There are some days that he is nice, where he actually feels like my father, the days where he is sober.

There are days where he takes me fishing or teaches me something new. Those are some really good days. Days where I actually feel safe, which I normally don't.

Why does he hate me so much?

My mother was rather quiet, but comforting. She has eyes of emeralds and tan, soft skin. I miss that soft skin, I always felt safe in my mother's touch. She always sang lullabies to me when I couldn't sleep. She was a sea person, my father wasn't. I somehow remember the last day I saw my mother. I was 5 years old.

Bruno blames me for Mom's death. He said that it was my fault she got shot with a harpoon. I witnessed her death, uncontrollably sobbing and watching her sink with blood flowing around her. After her death, my dad drank a lot of alcohol. It was an addiction, he couldn't stop.

And when he's drunk, he would hurt me.

Bruno stands up and turns around. I know this is gonna be horrible. The first thing that comes to mind is to run down the stairs, to run from him. So I run.

"DON'T RUN FROM ME, YOU MISTAKE!" Bruno shouts. I try not to cry as I trip and fall in the middle of the room. It's an empty room, we usually sleep on the upper floor. I enjoy seeing the bright fish gleaming in the night sky.

"YOU CAN RUN, BUT YOU CAN'T HIDE, YOU MONSTER!"

He's right. Even if I try to run, I can't hide. There's nowhere to go. Nowhere to hide. Nowhere that feels like home.

If my mother was here, she would protect me. She would comfort me like she always does, she would take a bullet for me. I inherited a lot from my mom: the emerald siren eyes, the tan skin tone, the freckles, the curly, light brown hair, and the strength. She was a very beautiful woman. I am proud to have some of her with me.