Chapter 2

"Friday is literally one week from today. How are we supposed to wait that long?" I say impatiently as we make our way back to O'Malley's.

Kira looks at me pointedly and asks, "Jensen, there is no time table for getting the van. Yesterday we didn't even think we would ever do this, why are you so antsy all of a sudden?"

She's totally right. Up until an hour ago, this was all just a pipe dream. But something about the whole situation has me feeling on edge, and I was hoping it would be a quick yes or no that let us move on with our lives.

"I don't know, I guess I am being a little bit unreasonable." The trek back to the store only takes a couple minutes, and we're about to get the crosswalk that Kira insists is useless to press the button for. In an attempt to change the subject I ask, "Do you want to get some coffee before work? "

"You know I do, but try not to think too much about this. Best case is we get a van. Worst case is we are exactly where we started. What will happen is totally out of our hands now, and we'll just have to wait until Friday to find out." She gently grabs my hand after grounding me with her wisdom yet again, and I can tell she's ready to drop it when she says, "And since you knocked, I'll get our coffee's today."

As we walk across the moderately busy street we gently bump shoulders as we sometimes do when one of us is more focused on walking than the other, this being my fault as I check to see how much time we have before work.

Kira holds the door open for me as I walk into the coffee shop where we are instantly welcomed by the smell of fresh coffee, and by the sight of the oversized cookies they always have on display. Seeing a portion size as massive as those cookies always makes me understand why we overeat as a society, and while sometimes I fold and take the bait, I'm trying to do better.

As per our routine whenever we visit Ziggy's Café, one of us grabs the coffee while the other sets off to find the best seat for us to spend the precious 15 minutes we have before Kira's shift. Admittedly, the coffee here isn't the best, but you learn pretty fast not to be too picky when living in a small town. Lately I've been settling for a regular iced coffee with cream and sugar, and Kira has been testing out their Chai for the fifth time.

With two cups in hand, Kira walks up to the empty booth I found and slides the iced coffee my way as she takes a sip of her Chai. "I don't know why I keep trying the Chai here, it's nowhere near as good as it is at Starbuck's."

Before she had me try all of her caffeinated drinks to figure out my coffee preference, I would have had no comment on the matter. But after having a Starbuck's chai and comparing it to one from Ziggy's, I have to agree with the sentiment.

In no time at all, we both crack open the book that we're buddy reading, and before we know it, it's time to go to work.

(End of Chapter)