Chapter 10, Bathroom stall

"𝐓𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐧𝐨 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐞, 𝐭𝐫𝐲𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐨 𝐛𝐞

𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐠𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐬𝐭 𝐢𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐥𝐞𝐚𝐠𝐮𝐞"

"Are you ready for it?" Gail asked, her head tilted as she looked at you with a gaze that was purely filled with admiration. After a quick breath, you nodded your head, causing for your friend to pull the gigantic dress over your head.

It was salmon pink, and it honestly looked like something straight out of Bridgerton. You felt like a princess in the dress, and twirled around merely seconds after Gail closed the zipper. "You look so beautiful." Jo pouted, a sign of tears in her eyes.

You pulled her in for a quick side hug before letting go again and making your way over to the large mirror that awaited you and your fabulous outfit. Both of yours hands stroked the stunning fabric as you began looking at yourself out of several perspectives.

"It's your night, how are you feeling?" You flinched as Paulie entered the room, a genuine smile spread across her face. The butterflies in your stomach were still going crazy, it was so bad you barely closed an eye all night.

WIth a seemingly nervous smile on your face you looked directly at the woman who had single-handedly carried you through the entire project. "It feels weird. I don't know if I'm ready to let all of this go yet, if I'm honest." You answered the woman, your nerved building up as you waited for her to reply.

"You're not letting go of anything, you're just sharing your hard work." She rested a gentle hand upon your back, which made you tense up slightly before you forced yourself to breathe, relaxing your muscles as you did. "It feels like I'm sharing my diary for the whole world to see, I feel crazy." You shook your head, not having noticed the single tear that made its way down your cheek.

Your eyes found the floor as you tried to regulate your breathing, which was easier said then done. It suddenly felt like you couldn't breathe, almost as if you were locked inside your own body, with nowhere to escape to. "Hey, look at me." Gail spoke up, her hands now holding yours, giving you an oddly comforting feeling.

You obeyed, looking up at your friend with a sense of hesitancy in your eyes. "I have never, ever met anyone who is more ready for this than you are. You have worked so fucking hard for this, and now it's all finally going to be worth it. You're one of the good ones, you always have been." A smile made its way to your face, the tears going unnoticed once again.

Within an instant, you hugged your friend. These words had been just what you needed, and it made you feel something you only ever vaguely remembered feeling; seen. To be seen is to be loved, and to experience this was so unreal it almost felt like a fever dream to you.