GAREN

The first rays of dawn cast a pale light over the majestic city of Demacia. Garen Crownguard, the indomitable might of the Dauntless Vanguard, stood on the balcony of his quarters, looking out over the city he had sworn to protect. His heart, however, was not as steadfast as his duty. Clutched in his hand was a small, tattered piece of parchment—a letter from Y/N.

"Y/N," he whispered to himself, his voice heavy with regret.

---

Months Ago

Y/N had always been Garen's anchor, a source of comfort and love in his tumultuous life. They had shared countless moments of joy and solace, their bond growing deeper with each passing day. But Garen's duty to Demacia had always taken precedence. The demands of his position left little room for personal happiness, and Y/N had grown weary of always coming second to the kingdom.

"Garen, we need to talk," Y/N had said one evening, his voice trembling with a mixture of sadness and frustration.

Garen looked up from his desk, his brow furrowed. "What is it, Y/N?"

"I can't keep living like this," Y/N continued, his eyes filled with unshed tears. "I love you, Garen, but your duty always comes first. I feel like I'm just a shadow in your life."

Garen stood, crossing the room to take Y/N's hands in his own. "You know how much you mean to me, Y/N. But Demacia needs me. I can't abandon my duty."

"And what about us?" Y/N asked, his voice breaking. "Don't we deserve a chance at happiness too?"

Garen's silence spoke volumes. He couldn't give Y/N the answer he deserved. The weight of his responsibilities was too great, and he had no choice but to shoulder them.

"I'm sorry," he finally said, his voice barely above a whisper.

Y/N pulled his hands away, tears streaming down his face. "I can't do this anymore, Garen. I need to find my own path, somewhere far away from here."

Garen's heart shattered as he watched Y/N turn and walk away, knowing that he had lost the one person who had ever truly understood him.

---

Present Day

Garen stared at the letter in his hand, the words blurred by his tears.

"Dear Garen,

I hope this letter finds you well. It's been months since I left Demacia, and I wanted you to know that I have found a new life in Piltover. The people here are kind, and I have found a place where I can be myself, free from the shadows of your duties.

Leaving you was the hardest decision I've ever made, but it was necessary for my own happiness. I hope you understand that. I will always cherish the moments we shared, but I cannot live in a world where I am constantly second to your duty.

I hope you find happiness, Garen. You deserve it.

Yours always,

Y/N"

Garen's grip on the letter tightened. He had failed to balance his love and his duty, and now Y/N was building a new life far from him.

"Commander Crownguard," a voice called from the doorway, interrupting his thoughts. It was Jarvan IV, the prince of Demacia and Garen's closest friend.

"Jarvan," Garen acknowledged, wiping his tears away. "What brings you here?"

"I came to check on you, old friend," Jarvan said, his eyes filled with concern. "You've been distant lately."

Garen sighed, folding the letter and slipping it into his pocket. "It's Y/N. He left months ago, and I just received a letter from him. He's... he's moved on."

Jarvan placed a hand on Garen's shoulder. "I know how much Y/N meant to you. I'm sorry, Garen."

"I chose my duty over him," Garen confessed, his voice filled with regret. "And now he's gone."

"You did what you thought was right," Jarvan said gently. "But maybe it's time to think about what you want for yourself. You've given so much to Demacia. Perhaps it's time to fight for your own happiness."

Garen looked at his friend, a spark of hope igniting in his chest. "You might be right. I need to see him. I need to tell him how I feel."

Jarvan nodded. "Then go. Find him, and make things right."

---

Garen's journey to Piltover was arduous, but his determination never wavered. He arrived in the bustling city, its mechanical marvels and innovative spirit a stark contrast to the stoic traditions of Demacia. He asked around, his imposing presence and heartfelt questions quickly guiding him to Y/N's whereabouts.

He found Y/N in a quaint little café, a smile on his face as he chatted with a group of friends. The sight of him, happy and at ease, filled Garen with both relief and trepidation.

"Y/N," Garen called, his voice steady but filled with emotion.

Y/N turned, his eyes widening in shock. "Garen? What are you doing here?"

Garen took a deep breath, stepping closer. "I came to see you. I needed to tell you how sorry I am. Leaving you was the biggest mistake of my life."

Y/N's friends discreetly left the table, giving them privacy. Y/N gestured for Garen to sit, his expression a mix of surprise and wariness. "You chose your duty, Garen. I had no place in your life."

"I was wrong," Garen admitted, his voice breaking. "I thought I could balance my duty and my love for you, but I failed. I can't lose you, Y/N. Not again."

Y/N looked at him, his eyes searching Garen's face for sincerity. "I built a new life here, Garen. I'm happy. What makes you think you can just come back and everything will be okay?"

Garen reached out, taking Y/N's hand in his. "I don't expect it to be easy. I just want a chance to make things right. To show you that you are my priority. I'll do whatever it takes."

Y/N's gaze softened, the love he had tried to bury rising to the surface. "It's not going to be easy, Garen. But if you're willing to fight for us, then maybe... just maybe, we can find a way."

Garen's heart soared with hope. "I promise, Y/N. I'll fight for us. For our happiness."

They sat together, hands intertwined, a new dawn breaking over their lives. Garen knew that the path ahead would be challenging, but with Y/N by his side, he was ready to face whatever came their way. Together, they would build a future where love and duty could coexist, and nothing would ever tear them apart again.