CHAPTER THREE - Dis...

After some time, Sophia decided to install the app. She had always wanted to make friends, especially international ones, so she decided to give the app a try. She created an account using the name "Fia". She didn't want to use her real name or something that would make someone recognize her. She set up Brie, Sam's goldfish as her profile picture trying to stay anonymous. At first, she found the app boring, but decided to be patient with it.

One day, while scrolling through the app, she found an account and developed interest in it because of the profile picture. It was a picture of a dish called "tteokbokki" which is a popular Korean dish. She had watched a lot of Korean dramas, so she recognized the dish. She had not eaten it before, but it was one of the things in her bucket list.
"Oh, it looks so tasty. This person might be Korean", she said to herself. She followed the account immediately and sent "Hi" to the person. It took about two days for J.V to reply her.

J.V was the owner of the account. He installed the app to make friends too but wasn't active on it. He found it boring and only visited the app once in a while. "Hi. Sorry for replying late", J.V sent to Fia. Sophia was a little pleased as she got a reply and as the person was kind enough to apologize even though he didn't have to. She replied that it was okay and that she liked the profile picture. That was how conversation started between the both of them.

They were both respectful to each other and enjoyed the conversation. Apparently, J.V had a Korean friend who made him try tteokbokki. J.V enjoyed the food and decided to use the picture as his profile pic on the app.
They both mainly talked about hobbies, food and sports. Sophia was a football fan, as her dad and brother influenced her, so she had an idea of the game. They chatted once in a while since they were both busy with different things. But Sophia always looked forward to chatting her online friend. They had not seen each other before, but were very happy with how respectful and fun their conversation always went.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I know it's just first year, but this is something I love doing. Group projects", Mr. Henderson, one of Sophia's lecturers told the class. He had already grouped them and given them the project activity. Some didn't like the idea of a group project, while others didn't mind at all. Sophia didn't mind, as long as everyone was willing to cooperate and play a part.

"All those in group 4 should please gather at the library, block D by 12:00pm for a brief meeting concerning the project", Emily told the class. Sophia was in group 4, as well as Alvin.

By 12:00 pm, everyone had gathered in the library for the meeting. Sophia saw Alvin and was displeased. Since their first encounter, there was just something about him that she didn't like. Not knowing that the whole thing was a misunderstanding. Alvin saw her too and acted like he didn't see her. He didn't want to have anything to do with her, so he always acted like she was invisible.

Sophia wanted to ask if it was possible to change groups, but was too shy to say anything. She decided to let it go and stay. She assured herself that the project wasn't going to take long. So, she was going to exercise patience.

After a brief meeting, they decided to choose a group leader. No one wanted to be the group leader. Everyone stared at each other, hoping that someone would voluntarily take up the position. "Alvin, what do you think? I think you're going to do a very good job", Emily told Alvin who was surprised to hear his name mentioned. "Yes, true, I think so too", added another member. Deep down, Alvin liked the project and knew that he was going to do well, but didn't want to be in the spotlight. Sophia frowned in disapproval. She didn't want him to be the leader, but she couldn't say anything.

She kept her thoughts and opinions to herself, because is she had disagreed, they would have asked her why she did and of she would take up the leadership position instead. She didn't want any of that to happen, so she kept mute. Alvin decided to accept the offer as the leader for the group project.

After the meeting was over, Sophia and Emily walked together to get food at the cafeteria. While they were walking, Emily kept talking about Alvin and how she felt that he was going to do a good job being the group leader. Her constant mention of Alvin's name made Sophia assume she liked him. "What do you even see in him?", Sophia asked. Emily being surprised at the question replied, "What do you mean? I mean, come on,. don't act like he is not good looking. He's cute and brilliant. Not that I like him, but I'm appreciating his features. Or do I like him?", she laughed and asked Sophia why she didn't like him. "Nothing,.I don't know. I was just asking. I don't care about him", Sophia replied.
"Okay, well that's your business. Let's go eat", Emily told her as they both walked into the cafeteria.