this is us - jin (an alternate timeline)

a/n: hi everyone! it's been a while since i've revisited this story, and who else could give me inspiration atm besides jin (hehe). so this takes places two years after oc + jk's breakup. just wanted to dabble in things that could've happened if oc didn't go to LA! i'm also throwing around ideas for yoongi too, so be on the lookout for it. enjoy my friends.

─── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──

"Who would've thought? Our best friends becoming best friends?" Yuna says before darting off to tuck Indie in bed.

You and Jin give each other a look before laughing off her words.

Two years ago, you wouldn't have dreamed of being close friends with Jin, but losing the love of your life pushes you closer to others when you need it most.

After Jungkook left, Jin kept a close eye on you, inviting you to hang out for game nights or when he wanted to try out a new recipe--you were a casualty to his delicious food.

He's always made an effort to make you laugh and keep things light, and it's something you've been missing for a long time. Being with Jin is easy because he doesn't expect anything of you. Let's you be, but is always there to pick you right back up if you go astray.

"I can't believe another year has passed by already. How do we make time stop?" You ask, picking up an empty champagne flute, bringing it into the kitchen.

"Hm, maybe I can come up with an invention that'll keep me looking Worldwide Handsome forever. Whattya think?" Jin purses his lips and raises a brow.

"I don't think you'll never not be Worldwide Handsome. We'll just need an invention to keep me from becoming an old lady," you chuckle, rubbing your hand. The numbing sensation in your nerves hasn't gone away. You blame the endless amount of sitting in front of your laptop, trying to write the next episode of your new show.

Jin puts down a party hat, taking your hand in his. He rubs the palm of your hand, trying to soothe the pain. "Still numb?"

You hiss when he hits a certain spot, trying to pull away, but he doesn't let you. "Yeah, only when you're around and stress me out."

"To be fair, I'm only around because I don't want your death on my hands. Can't have you go dying on me. I'd never hear the end of it from Yuna," he says.

Your eyes fall on his thumb softly circling the palm of your hand. Heart's racing, pulsating harder than normal. His brows are furrowed, concentrated on removing the numbing that's causing your current pain.

"Does it feel better?" he asks, eyes flicking to yours then back at your hand.

Yeah, it does. It feels better when Jin's around, tending to you, but you also feel guilty because he's always worried about you. Who worries about him?

"Egg Puff—hello—are you listening?"

You huff when you hear him calling you egg puff. "Can you please call me anything but 'egg puff'? I hate that nickname. But yeah, it's feeling better now," you answer, removing your hand from his grasp.

Jin laughs. "Not my fault all you eat are egg puffs, and by the way, you're welcome for making you feel better."

You point your finger at the handsome man. "Egg puff waffles are delicious and I'm helping the sweet woman by bringing her business."

"Everyday though? That's a lot of carbs."

"You're one to talk with all the...the..." What the hell has he been eating everyday? "With all the jajangmeyon you've been scarfing down!"

"Aye—stop with all this bickering and just kiss already," Taehyung says, creeping up behind you with Hyunie trailing behind.

You roll your eyes at your friend's husband. You love Taehyug, you do, but sometimes he deserves a good strangle.

"It's almost midnight!" Hyunie squeals along with light claps. "Who are you gonna kiss?"

You stare blankly at your friend. Kissing on New Years is such a dumb tradition. "No one—like I have been doing for the past two years. This year isn't going to change," you reply.

"Ugh—you're no fun! Come on," Hyunie comments, then leans in to whisper, "It's just a measly kiss. Besides, sometimes you have to kiss your friends just to relieve all that sexual tension—make sure it really does mean nothing."

It's just a kiss, right? You're friends with Jin, that's all. It's a meaningless kiss on New Year's.

Jin gives you a look and shrugs. "It's up to you."

"Promise you won't fall in love with me?" You ask.

Jin snorts. "Can't make any promises."

You gasp, smacking his chest. "Okay, yeah, no kissing."

"You'll get bad luck for five years if you don't," Hyunie yells toward you.

"Yeah! It happened to me once," Taehyung affirms.

You roll your eyes at the two insane lovebirds. Know they're lying just so the two of you will kiss. "Well, I already have bad luck. What's five more?"

"Just say you're a bad kisser and I'll find someone else to kiss before the New Year. I don't want bad luck."

"I'm not a bad kisser!"

Jin shrugs. "Guess I'll never know."

"Kiss him. Kiss him," both Hyunie and Tae begin taunting the pair of you.

You huff, looking up at the handsome man. "If you use tongue, I will cut it off!"

Jin raises his hands up in defense. "No tongue. I promise. I don't do that until the 5th date or so," he teases.

"This kiss means nothing. Just lips on lips!"

"Damn, you're kinda harsh. Kinda don't wanna kiss you now."

The hushed crowd that's still around begins to countdown.

"Now I gotta find someone else to kiss before I get bad luck!" Jin exclaims, looking around to see who's free.

"You know they're just lies, right?"

"Easy for you to say! You already have bad luck. I don't want it."

Six, five, four...

"Why are you so easily swayed by Hyunie and Tae anyway?"

"I'm not! I don't understand why you just won't kiss me. It's just a dumb kiss."

Three, two...

"Friends just can't go around kissing friends. That's now how it works—"

One...

And before you know it, Jin's pillowy lips are on yours.

Everyone's cheering with greetings of Happy New Year, but you're only focused on his fresh, clean scent invading your space. His lips capture yours once again before he slowly pulls away. Eyes are still closed. Noses brushing against each other. His breath is still warm.

You're lingering far too long. Not wanting to let the moment go.

It's just a dumb kiss, you remind yourself.

Kim Seokjin is nothing more than a friend. Someone who has seen the ins and outs of your happiness and heartbreak. Someone who has kept you smiling and laughing for the last two years. Someone who expects nothing but for you to be yourself. There's no judgment from him, far from it.

But you have to admit, what if he was your date for Yuna's wedding? What if you had gone out with him instead? You'll never know the outcome if that timeline continued instead of the one you journeyed through with Jungkook, so you shouldn't toy with those ideas.

"You're not falling in love with me, are you?" Jin breaks the lingering moment between you.

"In your dreams."