eyes don't lie

TW: BLOOD

ALBERTO'S POV

I miss my mother.

She was a kind and thoughtful woman. She had eyes that were green like emeralds and tan skin that looked so pretty in the daylight. She had brown, curly hair that flowed so beautifully in the wind. She was spotted with freckles.

I still remember her appearance somehow. The last time I saw her was.. uhm.. I think 13 years ago? I'm not good at math. Hey, I'm still working on it! I was 5 years old.

             -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Come on, amore," my mom says. "We're gonna go to the shops today!"

I love the shops! They're so cool! There's all kinds of stuff like.. uh.. stuff!

Dad is at work today, so Mamma thought it was a good idea to go to the shops.

My mom is a sea person, and so am I. My dad isn't so my mom tells me to not swim around him or talk about it.. Dad doesn't know that we are sea people..

Mamma holds my hand so I don't get lost. We then walk across the sandy shore and dive into the water.

Weee!! That was so fun!

"Let's  go, dear," Mamma says.

I squeeze her hand and we swim for a few minutes into the sea person town.

"What are we gonna get today, Mamma?" I ask.

"I'm gonna get some things for dinner tonight, amore," Mamma answers.

I smile and I look around to see all the other people like us. 

I love looking at all of the colorful scales of the people in the far town. Blues, greens, yellows, violets.

Then I hear something. It's really loud and it sounds like a horn.

 "LAND MONSTERS!!" I hear someone shout.

Mamma still guards me, I'm so scared. Are we gonna die?

"EVERYONE HIDE!" I hear another person shout.

Mamma starts panicking because we don't have anywhere to go.

Then I somehow hear one of the land monsters shout, "SEA MONSTERS!"

They caught us! I'm so scared, what are we gonna do?

Mamma and I try to swim away as fast as we can. I hope we survive. I'm just a kid, I don't want my life to end already.

Then someone throws their harpoon. I'm sure it's gonna miss us...

It didn't.

"MAMMA!" I scream, but that didn't help. There was nothing else to do..

I start crying, I can't lose Mamma. She means the world to me. 

I swim over to her, panicking. What can I do to save her?

"A-Alberto..." Mamma coughs. She's coughing blood. This is the most terrifying moment of my life.

"I.. I love you more than anything, my little star," and she coughs some more. "I... I need you to promise me something, amore."

I'm crying too much and I can hardly breathe. I just nod.