𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫.

"Safe!" Katsumi grinned and clapped happily, jumping up and down on base as the tenth graders cheered. Sawamura looked over at the dugout for the source of the voice, eyes landing on the pink-haired boy.

"Sorry... it's my fault runners got out..." The catcher frowned as the upperclassmen huddled on the pitcher's mound.

"Don't sweat it," Kawakami smiled. "These freshmen won't get a run. Not to mention that none of the other tenth graders look like they're actually here to play. The only exception is Miyuki's sister, but she was just up to bat, so we likely won't see her again. I doubt they can even bring her home."

Sawamura cackled on first base as the fielders returned to their positions. "Shashashashasha..." He hissed as he slid along the dirt for a lead. Kawakami whipped around and threw the ball to the first baseman, and Sawamura yelped as he dove back onto the base, the first baseman reaching down to tap his glove against Sawamura's head. Katsumi hid a giggle behind her hand at the boy's behavior.

Furuya stood up, raising his hand. "Excuse me, but since I won't get another turn at bat, may I go ahead and practice by myself?" Katsumi raised an eyebrow, hiding a scowl.

"H- hey... we're still in the middle of a game." One tenth grader weakly protested.

"Coach, is that really okay?" The catcher looked up at Kataoka.

"Doesn't matter. This is the last inning anyway." She heard Kataoka say.

Katsumi frowned. 'Man, just when I was finally having some fun.' She puffed her cheeks out.

Furuya walked over to where Kazuya sat and Katsumi rolled her eyes, turning her attention back to the game. Kazuya smirked from where he sat, watching the first yeast approach him. "Is that okay, monster rookie? Not watching to the end..."

"It's already over." Furuya said after a bout of silence, shocking Kazuya as his smirk faded. "Baseball isn't so simple that one person can lead a team to victory." Kazuya smirked again, turning his gaze back to Katsumi. Furuya did the same, narrowing his eyes at the small figure on third base.

"Damn it... what's up with that guy?" Kanemaru muttered in the dugout. "Just because he can go up to first string..."

"It's not like we want to play in this game either..."

Haruichi sighed, "so what did you all come here for?" The first years looked at him with wide eyes. "For the end that we all seek... shouldn't you be starting to realize that your achievements in junior high mean nothing here?" The other first years remained silent, staring at the boy. "I mean, if you want to try and say that Katsumi's bad because she's a girl, then let's look at the facts. She's a better player than you. In fact, she's probably better than all of us in this dugout, even a few of our seniors." Katsumi turned pink, hearing the faint conversation as they waited. Haruichi smirked at Kanemaru, holding a wooden bat up to his face. "If you have no ambition... switch out." He walked out, putting a helmet on. "Sorry... player change, please! The pinch hitter is me!" Katsumi grinned at the boy, who caught her eye and smiled softly, nodding at her as he walked out onto the field.

"Hey- who died and made you king?!"

"Isn't that a wooden bat?!"

Haruichi bowed, before signaling to Katsumi and Sawamura. "Signals? When did these guys decide on signals?!" Someone shouted and Katsumi smirked.

'We didn't... the point is to distract the pitcher...' She hummed quietly. 'I like this kid.' She nodded, pretending to understand. Sawamura, however, didn't catch on.

"Hah? What's that?" Sawamura yelled and Katsumi deadpanned. "Was that a signal?! No one told me!"

She groaned quietly, 'dumbass dumbass dumbass dumbass dumbass-'