Prologue I

The year of 105 AC was marked by both shock and tragedy

The year of 105 AC was marked by both shock and tragedy. Three months prior to the tragedy of the royal house, of the death of Queen Aemma Arryn while birthing her soon to perish son, Prince Baelon, of House Targaryen, came the shock to the realm. The union between Ser Tyland Lannister- brother to the current Lord Jason who had succeeded their father Lord Tymond when he died in the year previous, 104 AC- and a lady Sereia of House Raevyron, the mysterious Valyrian house in the North.

All knew of House Raevyron, though much of what was known tended to be unconfirmed gossip and speculation. House Raevyron was a mysterious, unknown Valyrian house that had left Valyria on the cusp of the Doom, even before Houses Targaryen, Celtigar, Qoherys, Vestaenys, and all the other little minor Valyrian houses that were situated in towns like Hull, Spice Town, and Crackclaw Point, along the Crownlands of Driftmark, Dragonstone, and Claw Isle– too low to be considered a great house, but still Valyrian, keeping the traditions and culture of their former homeland. And yet they had not left Valyria until after the Velaryons had during the reign of the Merling King, at approximately 2000 BC, from whom they'd been gifted the lands at Driftmark to build their own seat. Taking a new home on the island off the coast of the North in the Shivering Sea, on what would later be called Moontide around 1837 BC. They had been spared from Aegon the Conqueror and his two sister-wives, Visenya and Rhaenys, though none knows why, as it had not been a part of the reign of the Kings of Winter until, acting only as an independent entity that was allied to the Kings of Winter, the Starks. Instead, House Raevyron had quietly pledged their loyalty to King Aegon and had been ceded into the lands of the North under the Lords Paramount of House Stark through a singular letter, vowing fealty in perpetuity so long as they were left to themselves.

Even without the strange history during the ages of the conqueror, House Raevyron was a peculiar house. As far as history can find, there are no mentions of them as Dragonlords, and yet they had once been considered a Great House within Valyria. Known for their strange ways, so the history books and scrolls say, which seems consistent with their history in Westeros. They had maintained an isolated culture for years. They had obviously married from Valyria before its fall, Essos and in Westeros, having a history with the various Northern houses and other families of Valyrian descent in Essos. And, for whatever reason that was lost in History, they had stayed out of the Conquest, avoided and unscathed by The Conquerer and his sister wives. Some believe it was because of the rumored magic of the House Raevyron, which was said to oppose that of the Fire of the Targaryens, instead being founded in the water– the histories are littered with tales of magic, with House Raevyron having once been an entirely unique magic from the great dragonlords in Valyria, but secretive and always left to its own, which is peculiar even for Valyria's own strange standards . Others believed it was because Aegon and his wives had intended for the house to eventually join through a peaceful alliance of an eventual marriage. None were made, however, not in Aegon's reign, nor in Maegor's or even in Jaehaerys' reign. Instead, as promised, they were left completely and utterly alone.