Prologue II

RUNESTONE, THE VALE

RUNESTONE, THE VALE. 
RHEA ROYCE, EARLY 110 AC.

"Oh, please, please, please!"

Lady Rhea Royce let out an amused huff at the child in front of her, her niece and heir, Rowena stood in front of her, gazing up at her with enlarged eyes, lower lip slightly jutted out, her hands clasped in front of her, while Ser Gunthor stood off to the side, looking on with endeared amusement at the scene before them. Rhea herself was in her riding leathers, pulling her gloves over her hands.

"Lady Rowena, you stay away from those horses if you know what's good for you, young lady!" Lady Alarra Waynwood arrived at the scene, then, sporting a scowl as she placed her hands at her hips.

Little Lady Rowena's eyes widened comically in that slight fear a child displays when they know they've been caught in some mischief at the sight of her governess.

Rhea couldn't help the smile that slipped at the sight of her close friend and paramour. The Lady Alarra had been a close friend to Rhea for years, even before Rhea's unfortunate but barren marriage to Prince Daemon of House Targaryen. She and Alarra had been companions from girlhood, often spending their time together at court both here in Runestone and at the Eyrie among the those of House Arryn, their liege lords paramount. As the third daughter of Lord Waynwood of Ironoaks, Alarra had more freedom to be at Runestone than her siblings, and she was yet unmarried.

Due to her mother as a Redfort, she, much like her cousin Lady Jessamyn Redfort, sported hair kissed by fire. Though her hair was fairer, a more orange color than the darker copper of Lady Jessamyn. Alarra had been appointed as governess to Lady Rowena when the young girl had been brought to court at Runestone. A cousin of Rhea's, Rowena was the granddaughter of Rhea's father's brother, and would now be her legal heir. She had named her thusly, upon meeting her. Rowena was a sharp, quick-witted girl, with a kind heart that could be trained to become a good ruling lady.

"I assume by Lady Alarra's appearance, that you have not finished your lessons of the day," Rhea spoke, amused, as she glanced from her longtime friend back to her charge. "Go finish your lessons. I shall be hunting today, but perhaps, when we have the time later in the week, I shall take you with me."

Rowena's dimmed enthusiasm grew then, brightening up like a star in the dark night sky. Her grey eyes shining with excitement at the prospect. "Yes, Lady Rhea, I will at once!" And with that, Rowena raced away from the stables and back into the castle proper of Runestone.

Alarra sighed and shook her head, "That girl is worse than you were at that age."

Rhea smiled, nodding at Ser Gunthor, who took his leave to go make sure Rowena was not further causing trouble in the castle. The girl was still young yet, and often became easily distracted. And she had a wild streak in her, much like Rhea did as a girl. They blamed it on the Stark blood that ran in their veins, from the consistent intermarriage with the Starks of Winterfell since the time of the conquest, and even before.